NBC Universal announced two deals to expand its out-of-home digital video advertising business.
Mark French, senior VP and general manager of NBC Everywhere, pitched the collection of place-based media platforms to advertisers and media buyers at an upfront-style presentation at NBC’s New York headquarters Wednesday.
Featuring short-form customized entertainment and news programming from NBC networks, shows and personalities, the out-of-home network is being sold to television advertisers looking for another way to extend their on-air campaigns, as well as smaller and local advertisers that want to aim messages at specific geographic targets.
Mr. French said NBC Everywhere expects to register 3 billion impressions in 2008. He declined to say how much revenue NBC Universal expected to generate, but said the targets were aggressive and indicated this is a priority for the company.
NBC Universal said it made a programming and advertising deal with Ideacast to create NBC at the Gym, which reaches 13 million gym members each month with content from CNBC and MSNBC.
It also reached an agreement with the University Network to launch NBC on Campus, which reaches 6 million students at 181 colleges across the country.
Other elements of the NBC Everywhere portfolio include:
* NBC in Taxi, a strategic partnership with Clear Channel Taxi racking up 5.88 million monthly impressions with New York City passengers. Current advertisers include Coke, Chase and Panasonic.
* [email protected] Square, the jumbo video billboard owned by NBC Universal, registering 1.5 million impressions daily. Clients include Sony Pictures and Nivea.
* [email protected] One, a partnership with Allow Marketing & Media reaching 6 million students daily. NBC News has provided programming since October and NBC Universal begins selling ads next month.
* Fuelcast Network Powered by NBC, with video programming on gas pumps ringing up 8.64 million impressions monthly in Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Miami. Sponsors include General Motors, Jack in the Box and AT&T.
* [email protected], a strategic partnership with PRN Network getting 50 million monthly impressions in 1,000 stores. Advertisers include GM and Progressive Insurance.
* [email protected] Game, a partnership with Arena Media Network, with screens near concession stands in ballparks and arenas around the country scoring 138 million annual impressions. Advertisers include Chevrolet, Gallo and Home Depot.
* Newborn Channel, owned by NBC Universal’s iVillage, with screens in maternity rooms creating 3.4 million impressions. Advertisers include Huggies and Gerber.
NBC Everywhere also has a strategic partnership with IGA to put billboards into online games garnering 3 million impressions per month. Advertisers include AT&T and Burger King.
NBC Everywhere has an ad team headed by director of sales Dan Bourgault. The team is embedded within NBC’s network sales unit. NBC Everywhere also is being sold through NBC Local Media, which sells ad time on the network’s owned stations.
The short-form content for NBC Everywhere is being created by the NBC Agency, which creates promos for NBC.
John Miller, co-president of the NBC Agency, called the clips “promo-tainment,” designed to expose NBC’s channels, programming and talent to extra eyeballs.