Change is constant. And change is hard. Fortunately, I’ve had the rare gift of learning from one of the most effective changemakers in business today — Beth Comstock, author of the book, Imagine It Forward.
Comstock is famous for her innovative leadership style and courage to make meaningful change happen within organizations. Her extraordinarily successful career includes holding the positions of President of Integrated Media at NBC Universal, GE‘s first chief marketing officer in twenty years, and GE’s Vice Chair. But Comstock is also responsible for leading the award-winning GE Imagination At Work, GE Innovation and GE Ecomagination initiatives. Beth has been named to the Fortune and Forbes lists of the world’s most powerful women and a LinkedIn Top 10 Influencer.
Imagine It Forward
Beth Comstock’s first book, Imagine It Forward, will undoubtedly provide inspiration for many entrepreneurs and business people that strive to become changemakers. Comstock’s advice in the book reads as nothing but genuine, her chronicles candid in an innovator’s journey navigating tension within an organization.
Here are a few takeaways from the book Imagine It Forward to provide you with inspiration to embrace change:
01) “The future is not in our stars but in our imaginations, and our actions.” ~ Beth Comstock
02) “People who effect radical change have to exhibit an uncompromising faith in experimentation, a bias for novelty and action, and a sense that disruption is something you cause, not observe.” ~ Beth Comstock
03) “You don’t just work submissively for a company you tolerate. You agitate, sometimes rebelliously, to craft it into something great.” ~ Beth Comstock
04) “In change, people have to find their own path. You can’t mandate how that happens. But you can create the right conditions.” ~ Beth Comstock
05) “Discovery is about engaging the world as a classroom, to extract the ideas that will create the future.” ~ Beth Comstock
06) “The pace of change is never going to be slower than it is today.” ~ Beth Comstock
07) “Get comfortable with not knowing, with living in the in-between of what was and what will be.” ~ Beth Comstock
08) “Emergent change seems impossible until it happens, at which point it becomes inevitable.” ~ Beth Comstock
09) “Getting people to adopt a new way of doing things, mobilizing them around a new story, is the part of innovation.” ~ Beth Comstock
10) “Change is a messy, collaborative, inspiring, difficult, and ongoing process — like everything meaningful that leads to human progress.” ~ Beth Comstock
11) “We can’t make uncertainty go away. But we can change the way we react to it. Every uncertainty is a new potential future.” ~ Beth Comstock
12) “You have to imagine a future that others can’t see and then make it real.” ~ Beth Comstock
13) “Strategy is a story well told.” ~ Beth Comstock
14) “Act boldly on instinct; do not wait for the data to tell you what to do. You have to respect the data but love imagination more.” ~ Beth Comstock
15) “If failure is not an option, then neither is success.” ~ Beth Comstock
16) “You don’t just live a life; you blunder your way toward creating the one you love.” ~ Beth Comstock
17) “Who are you waiting for to tell you it’s okay? Your boss? Your mother? Yoda? Grab your own permission. No one is going to give it to you.” ~ Beth Comstock
18) “Today I’m giving myself permission to: ___________.” ~ Beth Comstock
Have Your Read Imagine It Forward?
Do you have the book Imagine It Forward? What did you think? How do you approach change? Please tell us in the comments below or using the hashtag #ImagineItForward.