Here are the best Top Gun quotes from Maverick, Goose, Viper, Stinger, Jester, Iceman and the rest of the Top Gun cast.
There’s a lot of reasons to like the 1986 movie Top Gun. The Tony Scott directed film made over $356 million dollars worldwide, has an award-winning soundtrack, incredible cinematography, and a legendary cast that includes Tom Cruise, Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer, Meg Ryan, Tim Robbins, Michael Ironside, and Kelly McGillis.
And if that collection of accolades isn’t impressive enough, there’s another reason we are all still talking about Top Gun decades later. The script. The film is full of memorable lines and lots of great fighter pilot trash talk. Here’s a list of the best Top Gun quotes from Maverick, Goose, Iceman and the rest of the Top Gun cast.
1The Need For Speed
- Maverick: “I feel the need…”
- Goose: “…the need for speed!”
2Watch The Birdie
- Goose: “Watch the birdie!”
3Going Mach 2 With Your Hair On Fire
- Charlie: “You’re not going to be happy unless you’re going Mach 2 with your hair on fire.”
4It’s Time To Buzz The Tower
- Goose: “No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.”
- Maverick: “Sorry, Goose, but it’s time to buzz the tower.”
5You Can Be My Wingman
- Iceman: “You! You are still dangerous. You can be my wingman any time.”
- Maverick: “[email protected]*t! You can be mine.”
6Just A Walk In The Park
- Goose: “It’s time for the big one.”
- Iceman: “You up for this one, Maverick?”
- Maverick: “Just a walk in the park, Kazansky.”
7Are You A Good Pilot?
- Charlie: “Listen, can I ask you a personal question?”
- Maverick: “That depends.”
- Charlie: “Are you a good pilot?”
- Maverick: “I can hold my own.”
- Charlie: “Great, then I won’t have to worry about you making your living as a singer.”
8Great Balls Of Fire
- Goose: “Great balls of fire!”
9I’ll Have What He’s Having
- Charlie: “I’ll have what he’s having. Hemlock, is it?”
- Maverick: “Ice water.”
10I Don’t Like You Because You’re Dangerous
- Iceman: “You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you go up in the air you’re unsafe. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.”
11Let’s Have Some Fun With Him
- Maverick: “If I can’t shoot this son of a bitch, let’s at least have some fun with him.”
12That Was Some Of The Best Flying… Until You Got Killed
- Jester: “That was some of the best flying that I’ve seen to date — right up to the part where you got killed.”
- Maverick: “It’s classified. I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.”
14You Don’t Own That Plane! The Taxpayers Do!
15If You Think, You’re Dead
- Maverick: “You don’t have time to think up there. If you think, you’re dead.”
16A Target-Rich Environment
- Maverick: (Walks into a bar) “This is what I call a target-rich environment.”
17Take Me To Bed Or Lose Me Forever
- Carole: “Hey, Goose, you big stud!”
- Goose: “That’s me, honey.”
- Carole: “Take me to bed or lose me forever.”
- Goose: “Show me the way home, honey.”
18He’s Going Vertical
- Maverick: “He’s going vertical, so am I.”
- Goose: “We’re going ballistic Mav go get him.”
- Maverick: “No way Jester, you’re mine.”
- Goose: “Come on Mav do some of that pilot sh*t.”
19No Points For Second Place
- Slider: “Remember, boys, no points for second place.”
20The List Is Long But Distinguished
- Slider: “Goose, whose butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?”
- Goose: “The list is long but distinguished.”
- Slider: “Yeah, well so is my Johnson.”
21That’s Pretty Arrogant
- Viper: “In case some of you are wondering who the best is, they are up here on this plaque.”
- Viper: “Do you think your name will be on that plaque?”
- Maverick: Yes, sir.
- Viper: “That’s pretty arrogant, considering the company you’re in.”
- Maverick: “Yes, sir.”
- Viper: “I like that in a pilot.”
22Your Ego Is Writing Checks Your Body Can’t Cash
- Stinger: (To Maverick) “Son, your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash!”
If you had to pick only one Val Kilmer Top Gun quote, then this would probably be it.
- Iceman: The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies’ room.
24You’re Dangerous And Foolish
- Iceman: Maverick, it’s not your flying, it’s your attitude. The enemy is dangerous. But right now, you’re worse than the enemy. You’re dangerous and foolish. You may not like the guys flying with you, they may not like you, but whose side are you on?
- Maverick: That’s right, Iceman. I am dangerous.
25Rubber Dog Shit
- Stinger: “And if you screw up just this much, you’ll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!”
- Maverick: “Yes, sir!”
Top Gun Movie: Success & Legacy
Top Gun was an immediate hit with audiences. The film made $356 million dollars worldwide for Paramount Pictures and almost everything it touched turned to gold. Here are some highlights.
- Top Gun Movie Soundtrack: The Top Gun soundtrack was the best selling soundtrack of 1986 as well as one of the best selling soundtracks of all time. It includes several major hit songs including Berlin‘s “Take My Breath Away” and Kenny Loggins‘ “Danger Zone”. Both individual songs, as well as the soundtrack itself, have been recognized with awards and nominations by the Oscars, Golden Globes, Brit Awards, and Grammys among others.
- Anthony Edwards: Before Top Gun, Anthony Edwards was acting in nerdy comedy films like Revenge Of The Nerds (1983) and Gotcha! (1985). But after Top Gun, he lost the loser typecast and landed charismatic roles in several hit TV shows including Northern Exposure (1990-1995) and E.R. (1994-2009).
- Val Kilmer: Similar to Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer’s early acting opportunities were limited to goofball roles in films like Real Genius (1985) and Top Secret! (1984). But the decade that followed Top Gun included a string of major hits for Kilmer including The Doors (1991), Thunderheart (1992), True Romance (1993), and Tombstone (1993).
- Meg Ryan: Before 1986, no one knew about Meg Ryan except fans of Charles In Charge (1987-1990) and As The World Turns. But after Top Gun, she landed leading roles in Innerspace (1987), When Harry Met Sally (1989), Joe Versus The Volcano (1990), The Doors (1991) and Sleepless In Seattle (1993).
- Tom Cruise: Top Gun is also widely credited with propelling Tom Cruise to A-list status. He’s had one of the most successful Hollywood careers in modern history.
- Tony Scott: Before Top Gun, Tony Scott had only directed a few relatively unknown projects. But the success of Top Gun put him at the helm of a string of Hollywood blockbusters including Beverly Hill Cop II (1987), Days Of Thunder (1990), True Romance (1993), and Crimson Tide (1995) to name a few.
Your Favorite Top Gun Quotes
What are some of your favorite Top Gun quotes? Who is your favorite member of the Top Gun cast? How much do you love the opening scene on the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise? Please tell us in the comments.