It was only a matter of time before Stephen Colbert successfully convinced linguists that “truthiness” is a real and honorable word to be formally acknowledged. Sure enough, it was recently announced that Colbert’s vocab staple was among some of the new American slang words, including Tramp Stamp (pictured above) to make it to the pages of the latest edition of the Oxford American Dictionary. But “truthiness” already has a history of respect. In 2005 it was named the American Dialect Society‘s Word of the Year, and in 2006, Mirriam-Webster bestowed the same honor. The Oxford definition goes something like this:
“truthiness n. informal the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true. – ORIGIN early 19th cent. (in the sense ‘truthfulness’): coined in the modern sense by US humorist Stephen Colbert (1964–).”
There are other, far less predictable, no less profound words now also apart of the (thus far) esteemed OAD. This year’s inductions include:
- bromance n. informal a close but nonsexual relationship between two men. – ORIGIN early 21st cent.: blend of brother and romance.
- defriend v. another term for unfriend.
- unfriend v. [with obj.] informal remove (someone) from a list of friends or contacts on a social networking site:she broke up with her boyfriend, but she hasn’t unfriended him.
- LMAO abbr. vulgar slang laughing my ass off.
- tramp stamp n. informal a tattoo on a woman’s lower back.
- hater n. a person who greatly dislikes a specified person or thing: a man hater | he’s not a hater of modern music. informal a negative or critical person: she found it difficult to cope with the haters.
… need I go on? Fine. There’s also hashtag, BFF, carbon credit, gal pal and vuvuzela. And dozens more. The entire list can be found here. The reader comments on a related CNN post had me LMAO. The “what-is-the-world-coming-to” academic elite are going to have to bear down and accept it. These new American slang words are here to stay.
- Oops! Astronaut Loses Camera During Spacewalk (methodshop.com)
- Banana Dipped in Liquid Nitrogen and then Shot [pic] (methodshop.com)
- Say no to drugs with the Zip Zap Rap (methodshop.com)