A new podcast about the Susan Cox Powell disappearance debuted at #1 in Apple Podcasts today. Perhaps the COLD podcast will finally help bring some closure to this horrific cold case.
In 2009, Susan Powell disappeared, but she has definitely not been forgotten. KSL Podcasts released a new podcast today called COLD, about the Susan Powell case.
Almost a decade after her disappearance, interest in the story is still so strong that the COLD podcast debuted at #1 in Apple Podcasts today. The number of downloads and subscriptions that the COLD podcast received in just 24 hours put the new Susan Powell podcast ahead of Serial, Rachel Maddow, Joe Rogan, and Dirty John among other popular shows.
The Susan Powell Case: The Basics
If you are unfamiliar with the Susan Powell case, here are the basics:
- Susan Cox Powell disappeared in 2009. Her body has never been found.
- The same night Susan Powell disappeared, her husband Josh Powell, spontaneously took their two sons, Charles and Braden, camping in the middle of the night, during a snowstorm. When police investigated his camping gear, most of it was still unopened and in boxes and plastic packaging.
- In 2012, a state worker visited Josh Powell’s home. He responded by killing his two young sons, ages 5 and 7, with an ax before burning himself alive.
- Susan’s father-in-law, Steven Powell, had a strange obsession with her. He would frequently videotape her. And in an awkward encounter, he even confessed his love for her.
- Josh’s brother, Michael Powell, committed suicide in 2013. He jumped off the roof of a parking garage. Days after Susan’s disappearance, he suspiciously took his car to a scrap yard and wanted to make sure it was destroyed.
The Susan Cox Powell Disappearance & The COLD Podcast: A 3 Year Project For The KSL Podcasts Team
KSL investigative reporter, Dave Cawley, spent over 3 years working on the COLD podcast. Each episode in the series contains never-before-seen-or-heard recordings, including some very disturbing video footage showing Susan’s father-in-law Steven Powell’s obsession with her.
“If I die, it may not be an accident, even if it looks like one.” – Susan Powell, 2008
Dave Cawley reveals every twist and turn in this case. Beyond Susan’s disappearance in 2009, the death of Josh Powell and the murder of their children in 2012. With each new episode of the COLD podcast, new details unfold.
“This expansive project is the deepest look into the Susan Powell case by a journalist thus far,” says Sheryl Worsley, Director of Audience Development for KSL. “I’m proud of Dave’s more than a three-year commitment to this story, and we are hopeful that others can draw lessons from Susan’s experience.”
Identifying & Escaping An Abusive Relationship
An abusive relationship doesn’t always have to be physical. In the Susan Powell case, she endured years of mental and emotional abuse from her husband. He would control every aspect of her life and even proofread her personal emails before she could send them. If you are in an abusive relationship, please get help from the National Domestic Abuse Hotline or another resource.
How To Subscribe To The Susan Powell Podcast