Spanish-language TV network Telemundo apologized to Mexico President Vicente Fox on Thursday after airing offhand comments made by Fox about his pending departure from office before the formal start of an interview.
Telemundo Airs Pre-Interview Conversation With President Vicente Fox
Telemundo obtained an interview with Fox, conducted on Oct. 31, from the Spanish news agency EFE and broadcast the offhand comments the next day in a segment called “In Context” that airs from Los Angeles. Since then, it has shown up on Internet sites including the popular “YouTube.”
“Now I speak freely… I can say whatever nonsense… It doesn’t matter now… Now it’s the end, I’m leaving,” Fox said during pleasantries exchanged with an EFE reporter before an interview that dealt with ongoing conflicts in Mexico’s southern state of Oaxaca.
After some public blowback, people started demanding a Telemundo apology be made. The network responded.
“Telemundo understands that the broadcast of these comments could be construed as inappropriate and may have been taken out of context,” the Florida-based network said in a written statement. “Telemundo regrets any offense that the airing of these comments may have caused in Mexico.”