In this video clip from 1991, Steve Jobs shows off Release 3 of the NeXTSTEP operating system. The operating system was for his company NeXT Computer, which he started after being forced out of Apple in 1985. NeXT was later acquired by Apple Computer in 1996 for $429 million in cash, 1.5 million Apple shares, and resulted in Steve Jobs coming back to Apple as interim CEO.
Here are a few things to look for while you watch the clip:
- Mac OS X Features: See anything familiar? Many of the advanced features/applications in NeXTSTEP, like Mail, the Services menu, and the Dock, are now part of Macintosh OS X.
- Mac Trash Talk: Jobs repeatedly talks down both Macs and PCs, but Macs get the brunt of his jabs. Jobs left Apple in 1985 and founded NeXT Computer because of a power struggle with then Apple CEO John Sculley. This is why he’s personally showing off a computer system other than a Macintosh.
- Ross Perot Cameo: Jobs sends an email to a coworker about Ross Perot. In addition to running for president in 1992 and 1996, Ross Perot invested $20 million in NeXT and personally owned 16% of the company’s total stock.
Steve Jobs And NeXT Computer
Does anyone else think it’s weird to hear Steve Jobs talk bad about Apple? Some people may not realize that Jobs spent a decade in exile from Apple, the company he founded with Steve Wozniak in his garage in 1976, before coming back. We’re glad he did. If Jobs had never returned to Apple, then major innovations like Mac OS X, iTunes, and the iPod and iPhone might have never happened.
- The FUNNIEST Steve Jobs Moments on Stage
- Steve Jobs Re-Introduces Apple – While Wearing Shorts
- Thoughts On Music – An Open Letter from Steve Jobs On DRM
- Steve Jobs Dress-Up Doll: Change The Outfit Of Your Favorite CEO
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.