From “the greatest trick the devil ever pulled” to “I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze,” here are the top Keyser Soze quotes from The Usual Suspects.
The Usual Suspects is a brilliant 1995 film directed by Bryan Singer and written by Christopher McQuarrie. It stars Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Chazz Palminteri, Kevin Pollak, Pete Postlethwaite, and Kevin Spacey. The film follows the interrogation of Roger “Verbal” Kint, a small-time con man who is one of only two survivors of a massacre and fire on a ship docked at the Port of Los Angeles. He tells an interrogator a convoluted story about events that led him and four other criminals to work for a mysterious mob boss known as Keyser Soze (not Kaiser Soze like the Kaiser sandwich roll or Kaizer Soze like the Kaizer Chiefs football club). The Usual Suspects movie has an incredible script. Here are the top Keyser Soze quotes from The Usual Suspects.
1Who is Keyser Soze?
- Verbal: Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power.
- Dave Kujan: Do you believe in him, Verbal?
- Verbal: Keaton always said, “I don’t believe in God, but I’m afraid of him.” Well, I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
- Verbal: After that, my guess is that you will never hear from him again. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that… he is gone.
- Arkosh Kovash: (in Hungarian) Why are you just standing there, you idiot? I’m not speaking English, am I? Wouldn’t it make sense to find someone who could talk to me so you could find the person that set me on fire, perhaps? He is the Devil. You’ve never seen anyone like Keyser Soze in all your miserable life, you idiot. Keyser Soze. Do you at least understand that? Keyser Soze. The Devil himself. Or are you American policemen so stupid that you haven’t even heard of him? Keyser Soze, you ridiculous man. KEYSER SOZE.
5Killing the Devil
- Verbal: How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?
- Verbal: A man can convince anyone he’s somebody else, but never himself.
- Verbal: Where’s your head, Agent Kujan? Where do you think the pressure’s coming from? Keyser Soze – or whatever you want to call him – he knows where I am right now. He’s got the front burner under your ass to let me go so he can scoop me up ten minutes later. Immunity was just a deal with you assholes. I got a whole new problem when I post bail.
- Dave Kujan: So why play into his hands? We can protect you.
- Verbal: Oh, gee, thanks, Dave. Bang-up job so far. Extortion, coercion. You’ll pardon me if I ask you to kiss my pucker. The same fuckers that rounded us up and sank us into this mess are gonna bail me out? Fuck you. You think you can catch Keyser Soze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything, it will be to get rid of me. After that… my guess is you’ll never hear from him again.
- Verbal: He lets the last Hungarian go. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and then he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents’ friends. Then he burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. Nobody has ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. “Rat on your pop and Keyser Soze will get you.” And no-one ever really believes.
- Fred Fenster: The way I hear it, Soze is some kind of butcher. A peerless, psycho, fucked-up butcher.
10Repay Your Debt
- Kobayashi: Mr. Redfoot knew nothing. Mr. Soze rarely works with the same people for very long, and they never know who they’re working for. One cannot be betrayed if one has no people.
- Fenster: So why are you telling us?
- Kobayashi: Because you have stolen from Mr. Soze, Mr. Fenster. All of you. That you did not know you stole from him is the only reason you are still alive. He feels you owe him. You will repay your debt.
- Todd Hockney: All right, fuck the debt. And fuck you! How do we know you work for Soze?
- Kobayashi: I don’t think that is very relevant, Mr. Hockney. All five of you are responsible for the murder of Saul Berg and his bodyguards. Mr. Redfoot can testify to your involvement, and we can see to it that he will.
- Verbal: Big fat guy, I mean like orca fat.
12The Strangest Thing
- Dean Keaton: McManus. What the fuck is going on?
- Michael McManus: The strangest thing…
- Verbal: It didn’t make sense that I’d be there. I mean, these guys were hard-core hijackers, but there I was. At that point I wasn’t scared, I knew I hadn’t done anything they could do me for. Besides, it was fun. I got to make like I was notorious.
14The Cripple from New York
- Jack Baer, FBI: They tell me you got the cripple from New York in there. He mention Keyser Soze?
- Dave Kujan: Who?
- Jack Baer, FBI: Bear with me here…
- Dave Kujan: (Kujan bursts into Rabin’s office) Who’s Keyser Soze?
- Verbal: Ohhh, fuck!
- Arturo Marquez: He’s here! I *know* he’s here! That’s him, I’m telling you that’s him! You hear me? I’m telling you it’s *Keyser Soze*!
Keyser Soze Quotes Collection
How did we do with our selection of Keyser Soze quotes? Do you have any favorite Keyser Soze quotes that we didn’t add to this list? What did you think of The Usual Suspects? Please leave a comment below or tweet us at @methodshop. Thanks for reading!