Apple CEO took the stage June 9th at WWDC 2008 and announced the new iPhone 3G. Jobs said that Apple has taken everything they’ve learned from the first iPhone and created the next generation of the iPhone… the iPhone 3G.
Here are some of the new features of the new iPhone 3G:
- Cheaper. An 8G iPhone 3G will sell for… $199. $299 for the 16GB. Right now, it’s actually cheaper than the iPod Touch?!
- Wireless access to the new iPhone “App Store” full of applications and games specifically made to take advantage of the new iPhone’s features. You can also access the App Store via iTunes.
- Plastic back cover.
- Solid metal buttons.
- Improved “Accelerometer” that rotates the screen content when you rotate the orientation of your iPhone.
- Multitouch display.
- Better camera.
- Normal headphone jack (you no longer need special headphones).
- Dramatically improved audio.
- Faster. The iPhone 3G is 2.8X faster than the old iPhone on AT&T’s slow American EDGE network.
- Advanced GPS support. iPhone 3G uses signals from GPS satellites, Wi-Fi hot spots, and cellular towers to quickly get the most accurate location.
- Longer battery life. 300 hours of standby, 2G talk-time now has 10 hours (as opposed to 5), 5 hours of 3G talk-time (most phones only have 3 hour 3G talk time), 5 to 6 hours of high-speed browsing, 7 hours of video, 24 hours of audio.
- Enterprise email support.
- More colors. The new 3GF iPhone also comes in white.
Here’s a commercial for the new iPhone that Steve Jobs showed on stage:
The iPhone 3G will be available July 11th in 22 countries. Apple hopes to launch in 70 countries this year. The maximum price around the world is $199 USD. You can order an iPhone 3G at Apple.com starting July 11th.