Last night Apple released iTunes 8.1. The new version of Apple‘s popular digital media player application features performance enhancements, support for CD imports to iTunes Plus, a smarter Genius function and iTunes DJ.
One of the biggest enhancements of iTunes 8.1 is speed. As users’ iTunes libraries continue to grow, the application has had trouble keeping up. But according to Apple, iTunes 8.1 is now “faster and more responsive,” and users “will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing.” We definitely saw a major speed increase when backing up an iPod Touch.
Another update to iTunes 8.1 is the re-branding of “Party Shuffle” to “iTunes DJ.” iPhone and iPod Touch users can now use the “Remote” app to request and rate songs to any computer on the same wireless network using iTunes. We can’t wait to try this out at a party.
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
- New Visualizer
You can download iTunes 8.1 from Apple’s website here.
Leave a Reply