Minecraft is a fun and educational game that gives players the ultimate freedom to create interactive virtual worlds. Everything from beautiful castles to recreations of famous skyscrapers have been created in Minecraft. But how high can you build in Minecraft? Is there a Minecraft height limit? If there is, can you hack it? Let’s find out.
What Is The Minecraft Height Limit?
First things first, there is an official Minecraft height limit. For over a decade, the Minecraft height limit was 256 blocks. Players could only build structures that were under 256 blocks tall. But in 2021, the Minecraft development team at Mojang Studios increased the height limit in Minecraft.
So, what is the new Minecraft height limit? 320 blocks! This change is enabling players to build higher than ever before.
Can You Hack The Minecraft Height Limit?
Can you hack it? Yes, you can. There are a few ways to hack the maximum height in Minecraft.
There’s always room for ingenuity when it comes to Minecraft building and bypassing limits. However, we do not support using mods or hacks in Minecraft and assume zero responsibility for your actions. The links below are for reference only, and we do not endorse or support these sites or their software. Use Minecraft mods and hacks at your own risk!
See the links below for more info on how to get rid of the height limit in Minecraft:
What’s Minecraft Cloud Height?
If you are building an epic vertical Minecraft tower, at one point you’re going to encounter clouds during your vertical ascent.
When I’m building something that will reach Minecraft cloud height, I always like to build a platform or observatory at that level. It’s actually pretty cool to have clouds start passing through the walls of your sky castle.
The exact layer position of the Minecraft clouds in your world will vary depending on the version that you are playing.
Minecraft Cloud Layer Guide:
- Java Edition Classic: Between layers 108-112
- Java Edition Beta: Between layers 128 and 132.
- Java Edition: between layers 192 and 196.
- Bedrock Edition: Between layers 192 and 196, 128 and 132 for old worlds
- Legacy Console Edition: Clouds travel along the top of the map and don’t pass through blocks.
NERD NOTE: You can use Minecraft clouds to visually determine compass direction. They always travel westward.
How Do You Get Down?
Once you build a giant tower that reaches the Minecraft height limit, how do you get down?
It’s a good idea to build your tall structures in the middle of a lake. That way you can just jump into the water below.
In real life, any jump from this height would be fatal. The high dive world record height is 59 meters. It was set by Laso Schaller in 2015. 1 block in Minecraft equals 1 meter.
Because you can fall off a ladder in Minecraft, it’s a good idea to surround your ladder on all sides. This essentially creates an automatic guided decent that will gently return you to the ground from a tall structure.
Descending a ladder from layer 320 can take over a minute. If you want a faster way to return to the surface, then try Eyltra wings.
Eyltra wings are a very rare Minecraft item that can only be found in an area of Minecraft called The End which you need to travel through an End Portal to reach. Ships located near End cities will often have Eyltra wings in their cargo chests.
But if you don’t want to deal with a portal and the requirements required to reach The End, you can use cheats to give yourself Eyltra wings.
- Open the Minecraft app and launch a Singleplayer game
- After the game launches, press the ESC key to access the Game Menu
- Press the Open to LAN button
- Press the Allow Cheats button until it says “Allow Cheats: On“
- Press the Start LAN World button
- Press the / key, then type “give @YourPlayerName eyltra 2”
- This will give you 2 pairs of Eyltra wings
- Before you can use your wings, you’ll need to put them on first. Press E to access your inventory.
- You should see 2 pairs of Eyltra wings in your inventory.
- Drag one pair of wings to your clothing.
- Go to a high location and jump off. While in the air, press the SPACE BAR and your wings will extend.
- For a better view of your flight, press FUNCTION and F5 to change camera angles.
- Have a safe flight
Important Minecraft Layers
Altitude in Minecraft is measured in 1 meter block layers along the Y axis (up and down). There are several important layers that all players should know about.
Minecraft Layers (Bedrock Edition)
- 320 Top Of The World: This is the top of the world in Minecraft. Enjoy the view!
- 319 Build Height Limits: You can’t build or place any blocks above layer 319.
- 256 Old Max Height: This layer was previously the maximum Minecraft height limit before the Minecraft developers raised it in 2021.
- 191-195 Cloud Level: These are the layers where you will see clouds.
- 62 Minecraft Sea Level: The Minecraft ocean is at layer 62.
- -60 Bedrock: If you’re digging a deep Minecraft cave, then you will start to encounter unbreakable bedrock blocks at layer -60. Layers -60 to -64 will have a random mix of bedrock and other breakable rocks.
- -63 Build Depth Limit: You can’t build below layer -63
- -64 Bottom Bedrock Layer: Layer -64 is flat bedrock. You can’t dig anymore in Survival or Adventure mode. Not even TNT can break bedrock.
- -65+ The Void: The only way to break through bedrock is if you change your Game Mode to Creative. After you break through the bedrock in layer -64, you will see The Void. This is just black empty space. If you enter The Void, your player will die.
Life At 320 Blocks And Below
There’s a Minecraft height limit that prevents you from building higher than 319 blocks tall, but there’s still plenty of room to get creative.
What tall structures have you built in Minecraft? Castles? Skyscrapers? Antenna? Please share your vertical Minecraft masterpieces with us in the comments below, or on Twitter @methodshop!