When Black Panther was released in 2018, it stunned audiences with its story, cast, and visual effects. The groundbreaking Marvel film was even nominated for an Oscar in the Best Picture category. Although it didn’t win, out of all the films nominated that year, Black Panther made the most money.
Part of the reason for Black Panther’s success is how well-written it is. There are so many great Black Panther quotes to choose from. Some are funny, some are about love, and others are serious movie quotes about life that sum up the complex themes.
T’Challa Freezes: “Like An Antelope In Headlights!”
T’Challa’s first mission as Black Panther doesn’t exactly go as planned. His sister Shuri and Okoye are there to tease him properly.
- Shuri: Did he freeze?
- Okoye: Like an antelope in headlights!
- (Both women laugh)
- T’Challa: Are you finished?
“How do you think your ancestors got these? You think they paid a fair price? Or did they take it like they took everything else?”
Killmonger is one of Marvel‘s most brilliant villains. This is because they made him complex and empathetic. Killmonger’s opening scene is the perfect introduction to his character and shows part of where his anger comes from. It starts in a museum.
In this scene, he is asking the museum director about African artifacts.
- Museum Director: (Talking about an artifact) From Benin, seventh century, Fula tribe I believe.
- Killmonger: Nah.
- Museum Director: I beg your pardon?
- Killmonger: It was taken by British soldiers in Benin, but it’s from Wakanda, and it’s made out of vibranium. Don’t trip; I’m going to take it off your hands for you.
- Museum Director: These items aren’t for sale.
- Killmonger: How do you think your ancestors got these? You think they paid a fair price? Or did they take it like they took everything else?
- Museum Director: Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.
- Killmonger: You’ve got all this security in here watching me ever since I walked in. But you ain’t checking for what you put in your body.
The museum director then falls to the ground, obviously having been poisoned. Killmonger and his men, disguised as EMTs on the scene to help, then leave with the stolen loot.
“Together we will always rise.”
- T’ Challa: We serve Wakanda. And let us not forget, we also serve each other. Together we will always rise.
“…Only fighting when absolutely necessary.”
- Okoye: Wakanda survived for so long by only fighting when absolutely necessary.
T’Challa’s Royal Shoes: “What, you don’t like my royal sandals?”
Shuri and T’Challa are in the lab while she shows him his new Black Panther tech gear. Shuri may be a genius, but she is not above giving her brother a hard time with his sandals.
- T’Challa: (pointing to an unfamiliar device) And what are these?
- Shuri: (Looking down at his feet) The real question is WHAT ARE THOSE!? Why do you have your toes out in my lab?
- T’Challa: What, you don’t like my royal sandals? I wanted to go old school for my first day.
- Shuri: (Sarcastically) I bet the elders loved that.
“If you were not so stubborn, you would make a great queen… I would make a great queen because I am so stubborn.”
T’Challa and his ex-girlfriend Nakia take a walk. Their lines about T’Challa wanting to make her queen of Wakanda are some of the best quotes from the film.
- T’Challa: Come home, Nakia.
- Nakia: I’m right here. I came to support you and to honor your father, but I can’t stay. It’s just; I found my calling out there. I’ve seen too many in need just to turn a blind eye. I can’t be happy here knowing there are people out there who have nothing.
- T’Challa: What would you have Wakanda do about it?
- Nakia: Share what we have. We could provide aid and access to technology and refuge to those who need it. Other countries do it; we could do it better.
- T’Challa: We are not like these other countries, Nakia. If the world found out what we truly are, what we possess, we could lose our way of life.
- Nakia: Wakanda is strong enough to help others and protect ourselves at the same time.
- T’Challa: If you were not so stubborn, you would make a great queen.
- Nakia: I would make a great queen because I am so stubborn.
Killmonger Challenge: “I want the throne.”
Killmonger comes face-to-face with his cousin, T’Challa, for the first time, and he has a challenge. This scene gives us one of the best Killmonger Black Panther quotes.
- Killmonger: I want the throne.
- (Tribe laughs and scoffs)
- Killmonger: Y’all sitting up here comfortable. Must feel good. There are about two billion people in the world that look like us, but their lives are a lot harder. Wakanda has the tools to liberate them all.
- T’Challa: And what tools are those?
- Killmonger: Vibranium. Your weapons.
- T’Challa: Our weapons will not be used to wage war on the world. It is not our way to be judge, jury, and executioner for people who are not our own.
- Killmonger: Not your own? But didn’t life start right here on this continent? So ain’t all people your people?
- T’Challa: I am not king of all people. I am king of Wakanda. And it is my responsibility to make sure our people are safe, and that vibranium does not fall into the hands of a person like you.
“We let the fear of our discovery stop us from doing what is right. No more! … He is a monster of our own making.”
This scene has one of the most inspirational movie quotes of Black Panther. In it, T’Challa stands up to his ancestors and defines what kind of hero he will be.
- T’Challa: You were wrong to abandon him.
- T’Chaka: I chose my people. I chose Wakanda. Our future depended on…
- T’Challa: You were wrong. All of you were wrong to turn your backs on the rest of the world. We let the fear of our discovery stop us from doing what is right. No more! I cannot stay here with you. I cannot rest while he sits on the throne. He is a monster of our own making.
- T’Chaka: I must take the mantle back; I must. I must right these wrongs.
“…In times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers.”
- T’ Challa: Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows…We will work to be an example of how we, as brothers and sisters on this earth, should treat each other. Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence… We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe.
T’Challa’s Comeback: “I never yielded. And as you can see, I am not dead!”
Wakanda thought they had seen T’Challa fall dead in battle with Killmonger. They were wrong. He makes a dramatic entrance, but Killmonger handles it with humor.
- Okoye: (seeing T’Challa) He lives!
- T’Challa: N’Jadaka!
- Killmonger: Wassup?
- T’Challa: I never yielded. And as you can see, I am not dead!
- Killmonger: All that challenge sh*t is over with. I’m the king now.
“Today we don’t fight for any life. We fight for all of them.”
- T’ Challa: Today we don’t fight for any life. We fight for all of them.
“What? You guys have hoverbikes?”
Agent Ross is out of his element in Wakanda. He has a hard time wrapping his head around their advanced technology.
- Shuri: Nakia and I will get control of the Royal Talon with this.
- Agent Ross: So what do I do?
- Shuri: You’ll have to fly it.
- Agent Ross: What?
- Shuri: You were a great pilot. Don’t worry, I’ll guide you through it. It’s just like riding a hoverbike.
- Agent Ross: …What? You guys have hoverbikes?!
“…It’s hard for a good man to be a king.”
- T’Chaka: You are a good man, with a good heart. And it’s hard for a good man to be a king.
“This corset is really uncomfortable.”
- Shuri: This corset is really uncomfortable so can we all wrap this up and go home?
Of course, one of the most famous Black Panther movie quotes is “Wakanda forever!” Quick, register WKANDA for a vanity license plate before someone else in your state beats you to it.
The Best Black Panther Quotes
What did you think about our list of Black Panther movie quotes? Did we leave out any of your favorites? Are you a Wakanda fan? Please let us know in the comments below.
And if you love movie quotes, MethodShop has you covered. These Black Panther quotes are just the beginning. From Rocky to The Blues Brothers, we have tons of articles with iconic movie quotes.
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.