Looking for an original kid’s birthday party idea that parents will like too? How about putting a spin on the traditional Cowboy party and adding some Aliens? Cowboy themed birthday parties are usually for younger kids. But adding aliens will help “age it up” and make the party more fun for everyone… even the adults. Loosely based on the 2011 sci-fi Western film starring Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, and Olivia Wilde, a “Cowboys & Aliens” party can be a fun twist for both parents and kids. Here are some food, invitation, and activities ideas for a Cowboys & Aliens themed birthday party.
Most stables won’t have catering options or food prep facilities. As a result, you’ll need to cater, hire a food truck, or bring your own food. Here are some menu ideas:
Alien Fingernails: Fill a bowl with Bugles corn chips and put a sign next to it that says “Alien Fingernails.” Admit it, you always wanted to taste E.T.’s finger.
Cupcakes: You can easily decorate cupcakes around your party’s theme. Chocolate, pink and green frosting all fit with Cowboys, Cowgirls, and Aliens.
Chocolate Moon Cake: If you lightly coat the top of a chocolate cake with Pearl Dust, you can make it look like the moon. Just add a flag and some alien figurines.
Cowboy Chili: If your party is during the fall or winter months, chili can be a fun and easy menu item. Just prepare the chili in a crockpot and set up a toppings bar so your guests can add items like sour cream, grated cheese, chives and bacon to their chili bowls.
Hot Dogs: A favorite with most kids. Fill up a crockpot to keep them warm at the party. Re-label your condiments to fit your theme. For example, relish can be something like ‘alien guts’.
Grapes: Green grapes can be alien eyeballs.
Watering Hole: Cowboy themed drink bar. Alien fruit punch anyone?
Writing The Invitation
For the invitation, you can mix together some standard Cowboy talk with Sci-Fi lingo. Invitation Formula: Opening + Name & Age + Costume + Location + Activities + RSVP
- Grab your Phaser and Saddle up!
- Our Little Alien Has A Birthday!
- Saddle Up or Beam Up and Come Join The Fun!
- Giddy-up or Beam Up! You are invited to…
- Yee haw! You are invited to…
- Cowgirls, Cowboys & Aliens Wanted for the Biggest Birthday on Planet Earth
- Cowboys & Aliens Wanted
- Blast Off to the Big O’ Ranch for a Rootin’-Tooin’ Good time.
- Saddle up and Beam on over for…
- Yee haw! Get ready to Blast Off for some fun!
- Howdy Y’All! This Space Man is having a birthday!
- Wanted: All Cowboys, Cowgirls & Aliens
Name & Birth Year
- NAME’s # Birthday (i.e. Aden’s 4th Birthday)
- Cowboy NAME is turning AGE
- Will you be a… Cowboy, Cowgirl or Alien? Please come to the party in costume.
- Take your pick. Will you be a gun shootin’, horse-ridin’ Cowboy or Cowgirl? OR a laser beam shooting creepy skinned Alien?
- Roundup is at TIME at LOCATION.
- Mosey on over to LOCATION at TIME.
- Mosey on over for pony rides, grub, and boot-stomping fun!
- BBQ, Bonfire, horseback riding.
- Come thirsty for alien snacks
- Please call or text PHONE NUMBER by RSVP DATE.
If not all of the kids can do something at the exact same time (like ride horses), then make sure you have other things for them to do.
Horseback Rides: Kids love horse or pony rides. Ask your local stable about renting space and hiring staff to supervise the rides.
Coloring: Bring a big box of crayons and print out a stack of cowboy and alien pictures for the kids to color.
Face Painting: Hire a face painter or Ask one of the more artistic parents if they’ll volunteer to paint kids faces at the party. Have samples ready that align with your party theme to help influence kids’ selections.
Horseshoes: You can get a plastic kids version of the popular outdoor game horseshoes online for about $20.
I’m a dog owner that loves poetry, vampires, mountain biking, and cosplay. I’m open to ideas and still trying to figure my SFO life out one blog post at a time. LF ISO SWF GSOH SI DDF.