Mark your calendars. Today, September 9th, is the 41st birthday of the automated teller machine (ATM). So if you find yourself at the ATM today snatching up a wad of twenties, then feel free to sing happy birthday and let your fellow bank members know how you feel.
Here’s some random ATM trivia. Enjoy!
- There are 2 ATMs in Antarctica.
- The first back machine in the United States was installed in 1939. It was removed 6 months later due to non-use.
- ATM customers spend an average of 20 to 25% more than non-ATM customers.
- Bank ATMs average 6,400 transactions per month.
- The most popular day for ATM usage is Friday.
- Retail location ATM machines that dispense $20 bills increase store sales by over 8%.
- John Shepherd-Barron (Scotland), Luther George Simjian (USA) and Don Wetzel (USA) are the inventors of the ATM.
- ~240 new ATMs are installed per day worldwide.
- Since first ATMs were offline devices not connected by a computer network, banks only gave ATM access to card holders with good banking records.
- 16 mcg of cocaine can be found on every US bill in circulation.
- Who gets the $2.50 ATM charge? (heraldsun.com.au)
- Turning Your iPad Mini into Second Phone (methodshop.com)
- Bacon Vending Machine in Men’s Bathroom [pic] (methodshop.com)
Leave a Reply