For the past few months, the rumors swirling around a potential Apple tablet device has been dizzying. But Steve Jobs, Apple founder and CEO, just put all the predictions to rest and revealed Apple’s new tablet. The name? iPad. The cost? Way less than everyone thought!
What exactly is an iPad and how does it differ from your laptop or smartphone? Apple is calling the iPad more intimidate than a laptop and more powerful than a smartphone. You can use the iPad to do everything from browse the web, watch movies, listen to music, play games and even read books.
Here’s a list of the iPad’s features:
- Storage: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive
- Size: 9.5 x 7.5 inches; 0.5 inch thick
- Weight: 1.5 pounds Wi-Fi model; 1.6 pounds Wi-Fi + 3G model
- Battery: Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer 10 hour battery
- Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
- Network: Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
- 3G: UMTS/HSDPA; GSM/EDGE
- External Monitor: Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Composite A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite A/V Cable
- Audio: supported formats include AAC (up 320 Kbps), Protected AAC, MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
- Input and Output: Dock connector, 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack, Built-in speakers, Microphone, SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)
Our only disappointment? The iPad doesn’t have Flash capabilities – which will leave many developers and programmers upset. However the iPad does have a powerful mobile version of the Safari web browser. The lack of Flash is most likely intentional and meant to protect Apple’s lucrative App Store.
Let’s talk price. $499?! Yep. Apple is being unusually aggressive with price. Most people were predicting that the iPad would cost at least $1,000. Not so my friends. The iPad starts at the extremely attractive $499 for 16GB with just WiFi. There’s also a 32GB WiFi only model for $599, and $699 for 64GB. Adding 3G costs a $130 per model, so the most expensive model iPad is the 64GB WiFi + 3G at $829. Not bad at all! Right?
You can’t pre-order the iPad just yet. But you can sign up on Apple.com to be notified when they are ready for pre-order. Apple usually has products ready to buy or at least pre-order the day of its announcement. We wonder what happened with the iPad. The wait obviously won’t be that long. The WiFi-only model ships in 60 days, and the 3G models in 90.
- How Many iPads Has Apple Sold So Far? (celebritynetworth.com)
- Top 10 Awesome Accessories for Your New iPad [review] (methodshop.com)
- Kid Slaps Brother with His iPad (methodshop.com)
- Could the iPad See a Price Drop? (methodshop.com)
- More And More Businessmen Are Chucking Their Laptops In The Trash For iPad (cultofmac.com)
Did you get an iPad yet? Tell us about it.
This is absolutely great for the over 50 crowd. I am stoked that something was finally developed for us.