UPDATE: The Beaconsfield miners were rescued at approximately 9PM US EST [May 8, 2006].
If you were trapped underground for a few days, what would you want more than anything in the world? Probably not to be trapped underground… Anyway, to help relieve the extreme boredom of two trapped Australian miners, rescuers have given them iPods.
According to The Age, two iPods and some food were slid down a plastic PVC pipe to these poor guys while rescuers try to come up with a rescue plan.
The miners are trapped inside a Beaconsfield gold mine in northern Australia. A cave in trapped the two men beneath several meters of rock and killed a fellow miner. The two surviving men, Todd Russell and Brant Webb, are trying to keep their spirits up. They have been trapped underground since April 25th. Matthew Gill, the mine manager, had this to say in a statement; “They remain in good health and have now received iPods so they can listen to their favorite music…”
So what would you put on their iPod playlists? Here are a few suggestions from an iTunes iMix.
- Home Sweet Home – Motley Crue
- Above Ground – Norah Jones
- Baby I Just Wanna Go Home – Kevn Kinney
- Come On Home – Franz Ferdinand
- Theme from “Shaft” – Isaac Hayes
- Coming Home – Cinderella
- One Last Breath – Creed
- Let Me Go Home – Camera Obscura
- Mama, I’m Coming Home – Ozzy Osbourne
- Safety Dance – Men Without Hats
- Down Under – Men At Work (with Colin Hay)
- Staying Alive – Bee Gees
- Every Breath You Take – The Police
- New York Mining Disaster 1941 – The Bee Gees
- Working In a Coalmine – Science of Sound (feat. Lee Dorsey)
- Trapped In a Box – No Doubt
- Digging the Grave – Faith No More
- Mine Shaft – The Truffauts
- Coal Miner’s Daughter – Loretta Lynn
- Don’t Fear The Reaper – The Blue Oyster Cult
- Canary In a Coalmine – The Police
- Gold Digger – Kanye West
- Down In a Hole – Alice In Chains
ALl of the news reports sound optimistic. We hope they get rescued soon!
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.