Can Alexa do a New Year’s Eve countdown? Yes, she can! There are actually several Alexa New Year’s Eve Countdown skills to choose from for Amazon’s line of smart speakers. Honestly, most of them are crap but pick the skill that’s right for you. Here are some Alexa New Year’s Eve Countdown skills to help you ring in the New Year.
1New Year Countdown
Editor’s Pick —> The Alexa “New Year Countdown” skill (free) plays an audio clip of an ecstatic group of people doing a 10-second countdown. It is not triggered by a clock. So you will need to manually ask Alexa to start the countdown just before midnight.
- “Alexa, Alexa enable new year countdown skill.” This phrase enables the skill. Make sure you do this well in advance of midnight.
- “Alexa, countdown.” Starts the 10-second countdown.
- “Alexa, quit.” Stops the countdown.
2New Year’s Countdown
The “New Year’s Countdown” Alexa skill (free) tells you how exactly how long is left until the new year will arrive in Greenwich Mean Time, not your own time. So it’s basically useless unless you live in these GMT countries: United Kingdom, France, Spain, Algeria, Mali and Ghana in Africa. You can, however, manually have this skill do a 10-second countdown right before midnight.
Because this skill, “New Year’s Countdown”, is so close in name to the “New Year Countdown” skill, we suggest you only enable one of them. Otherwise, it is confusing to both you and Alexa.
- “Alexa, enable the New Year’s Countdown skill.”
- “Alexa, ask new year countdown how long is left.”
- “Alexa, ask new year countdown to start the countdown.” A manually triggers a 10-second countdown.
The “New Year” Alexa skill (free) is helpful if you have friends and family celebrating New Year’s Eve in different cities. Just enable the “New Year” skill and ask how much time you have left in the city of your choice.
- “Alexa, enable the New Year skill.”
- “Alexa, ask New Year the time left in Salt Lake City.”
- “Alexa, ask new year the time left in San Francisco.”
Alexa New Years Eve Countdown Skills
One of my biggest pet peeves is when a TV is on at a party. It’s a conversation and attention killer. Our eyes are drawn to it like moths to a porch light. So I was happy to discover that I could use an Alexa skill to countdown to midnight on New Year’s Eve. Hopefully one of these skills were useful for you. Here are some more fun things to ask Alexa on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. And here are the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne. Happy New Year!