Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- "Somebody’s life is about to change."
- "It was the ship of dreams to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship."
- "I'm The King Of The World!"
- "I'm Flying!"
- "Life's A Gift And I Don't Intend On Wasting It."
- "I'm not the one hanging off the back of a ship."
- "You're the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl-woman-that I've ever known."
- "His ideas of the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you."
- "I intend to write a strongly worded letter"
- To The Stars
- "I want you to draw me like one of your French girls."
- "I'd rather be his whore than your wife."
- This Ship Is Unsinkable
- This Ship Can't Sink!
- "The ship will sink."
- "Your money can't save you..."
- "Will these lifeboats be seated according to class? I hope they're not too crowded."
- "I'll Never Let Go"
- The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
- Promise Me You'll Survive
- Don't Let Go
- "You’re gonna die an old… an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this."
- "The 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait… for an absolution…that would never come."
- He Exists Now Only In My Memory
- A Woman's Heart Is A Deep Ocean Of Secrets
- Titanic Quotes & The Power Of A Great Script
- More Great Movie Quotes
It might be hard to believe, but one of the top three grossing films of all time doesn’t involve Marvel superheroes, the magic of Harry Potter, or even Star Wars Jedis. It’s a James Cameron directed love story starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet about a couple on an “unsinkable” boat crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The epic disaster romance, Titanic, has earned over about $2.1 billion dollars since its 1997 release and is still currently the third highest-grossing film of all time.
Famous Titanic Quotes
The Titanic has a great script and is full of a lot of unforgettable lines. Here are memorable quotes from Titanic that helped make the movie so iconic.
“Somebody’s life is about to change.”
- Jack Dawson: All right, the moment of truth. Somebody’s life is about to change. Fabrizio?
“It was the ship of dreams to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship.”
- Rose: It was the ship of dreams to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship, taking me back to America in chains. Outwardly, I was everything a well brought up girl should be. Inside, I was screaming.
“I’m The King Of The World!”
- Jack: I’m the king of the world!
- Rose: “Jack, I’m flying!”
“Life’s A Gift And I Don’t Intend On Wasting It.”
- Jack Dawson: Well, yes, ma’am, I do… I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what’s gonna happen or, who I’m gonna meet, where I’m gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you — to make each day count.”
“I’m not the one hanging off the back of a ship.”
- Rose: “You’re crazy!”
- Jack: “That’s what everybody says, but with all due respect Miss, I’m not the one hanging off the back of a ship here.”
“You’re the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl-woman-that I’ve ever known.”
- Jack: Rose, you’re no picnic, all right? You’re a spoiled little brat, even, but under that, you’re the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl-woman-that I’ve ever known.
“His ideas of the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.”
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Ismay? His ideas of the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.
“I intend to write a strongly worded letter”
- Jack: I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.
To The Stars
- Jack: “Where to, Miss?”
Rose: “To the stars.”
“I want you to draw me like one of your French girls.”
- (Showing Jack the diamond necklace)
- Jack Dawson: What is it? A sapphire?
- Rose Dewitt Bukater: A diamond. A very rare diamond. Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls, wearing this.
- Jack: Alright.
- Rose: Wearing only this.
- (Jack looks up at her, surprised. He then starts laying out his pencils like surgical tools. His sketchbook is open and ready.)
- Rose: The last thing I need is another picture of me looking like a china doll. As a paying customer, I expect to get what I want.
- (She hands him a dime and steps back, parting the kimono. The necklace lies on her breast. Her heart is pounding as she slowly lowers the robe. The kimono drops to the floor.)
- Rose: Tell me when it looks right to you.
- Jack: Uh… just bend your left leg a little and… and lower your head. Eyes to me. That’s it.
- (Jack starts to sketch. He drops his pencil and she stifles a laugh.)
- Rose: I believe you are blushing, Mr. Big Artiste. I can’t imagine Monsieur Monet blushing.
- Jack: He does landscapes.
“I’d rather be his whore than your wife.”
- Cal Hockley: Where are you going? To him? To be a whore to a gutter rat?
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: I’d rather be his whore than your wife.
This Ship Is Unsinkable
- Ruth: So this is the ship they say is unsinkable.
- Cal Hockley: It is unsinkable. God himself could not sink this ship.
This Ship Can’t Sink!
- Bruce Ismay: But this ship can’t sink!”
- Thomas Andrews: She’s made of iron, sir! I assure you, she can. And she will. It is a mathematical certainty.
“The ship will sink.”
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: Mr. Andrews… I saw the iceberg and I see it in your eyes… please, tell me the truth.
- Thomas Andrews: The ship will sink.
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: You’re certain?
- Thomas Andrews: Yes. In an hour or so, all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.
- Cal Hockley: What?
- Thomas Andrews: Please, tell only who you must. I don’t wanna be responsible for a panic. And get to a boat quickly, don’t wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: Yes… I understand.
“Your money can’t save you…”
- First Officer Murdoch: Your money can’t save you any more than it can save me.
“Will these lifeboats be seated according to class? I hope they’re not too crowded.”
- Ruth DeWitt Bukater: Will these lifeboats be seated according to class? I hope they’re not too crowded.
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: Oh, mother, shut up! Don’t you understand? The water is freezing and there aren’t enough boats Not enough by half. Half the people on this ship are gonna die.
- Cal Hockley: Not the better half.
- Molly Brown: Come on, Ruth, get in the boat. First-class seats are right up here.
- Cal Hockley: You know, it’s a pity I didn’t keep that drawing. It’ll be worth a lot more by morning.
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: You unimaginable bastard!
“I’ll Never Let Go”
- Rose: “I’ll never let go. I promise.”
The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
- Jack: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me… it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful.
Promise Me You’ll Survive
- Jack: Promise me you’ll survive. That you won’t give up, no matter what happens. No matter how hopeless.
Don’t Let Go
- Jack: Do not let go of my hand!
“You’re gonna die an old… an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this.”
- Jack: Listen, Rose. You’re gonna get out of here, you’re gonna go on and you’re gonna make lots of babies, and you’re gonna watch them grow. You’re gonna die an old… an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?
“The 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait… for an absolution…that would never come.”
- Old Rose: Fifteen-hundred people went into the sea when Titanic sank from under us. There were 20 boats floating nearby… and only one came back. One. Six were saved from the water, myself included. Six… out of 1500. Afterward, the 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait. Wait to die. Wait to live. Wait for an absolution… that would never come.
He Exists Now Only In My Memory
This is one of the great Titanic quotes about love. In the scene, Rose recalls her final moments with Jack.
- Bodine: We never found anything on Jack. There’s no record of him at all.
- Old Rose: No, there wouldn’t be, would there? And I’ve never spoken of him until now. Not to anyone. (to Lizzy) Not even your grandfather. A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets. But now you know there was a man named Jack Dawson, and that he saved me in every way that a person can be saved. I don’t even have a picture of him. He exists now only in my memory.
A Woman’s Heart Is A Deep Ocean Of Secrets
Out of all Titanic quotes, this is one of the most popular with women. I guess we all have a lot of secrets when it comes to love and matters of the heart.
- Rose: “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.”
NERD NOTE: Titanic was the first movie in history to gross more than $1 billion worldwide. The film was released on December 19, 1997.
Titanic Quotes & The Power Of A Great Script
The Titanic movie wasn’t just a hit with audiences, but both critics and award judges raved about the film. Titanic won a lot of Oscars during the 1998 Academy Awards. Everything including the film’s musical score, soundtrack, direction, visual effects, cinematography, set decoration, acting, and even screenplay won awards that year. But in the end, it all comes back to the script. A movie can have everything else, but without a great script, it won’t go anywhere.
More Great Movie Quotes
Thanks for reading our list of Titanic quotes. If you like famous movie quotes, then please check out some of our other articles.