Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Luca Brasi’s Pledge Pledge Of Loyalty
- I Know It Was You Fredo!
- I Don’t Trust Society To Protect Us
- I Trust These Men With My Life
- We Must Go On Our Knees To Don Corleone
- We Do Not Have To Give Each Other Assurances As If We Were Lawyers
- Lawyers Can Steal More Money Than Men With Guns
- Any Man Can Turn Traitor
- I’m With You, Pop
- I’m Gonna Make Him An Offer He Can’t Refuse
- Loyalty Quotes From Mario Puzo’s Other Novels
- Quotes About Loyalty From The Godfather
Not many films can teach us the importance of loyalty as clearly as Francis Ford Coppola’s adaptation of Mario Puzo‘s book, The Godfather. Starring both Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, The Godfather is both one of the most successful and award-winning films of all time. Its success generated two sequels and inspired countless other TV and film projects including Goodfellas, The Departed, A Bronx Tale, Scarface, and The Sopranos, just to name a few.
The Best Godfather Quotes About Loyalty
From Fredo’s ultimate betrayal to an “offer he can’t refuse,” here are the best Godfather quotes about loyalty from The Godfather novel as well as the three feature films, The Godfather (1972), The Godfather II (1974), and The Godfather III (1990).
Luca Brasi’s Pledge Pledge Of Loyalty
Luca Brasi was clearly nervous when he made this awkward pledge of loyalty to Don Corleone. He even wrote down his speech on a piece of paper and still fumbled through it. But Brasi was true to his word and loyal to the Corleone family until the very end. This is by far one of the best Godfather quotes about loyalty from the franchise.
- “Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty.” – Luca Brasi (The Godfather, 1972 Film)
I Know It Was You Fredo!
After Michael figures out who the traitor is in the family, he confronts Fredo and gives him the “kiss of death” on the dance floor in Cuba. Michael is very upset that Fredo would betray the family loyalty and secretly start working for the Jewish mobster, Hyman Roth. This line is probably the most famous Godfather quotes about loyalty from the Godfather series.
- “I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!” – Michael Corleone (The Godfather Part II, 1974 Film)
I Don’t Trust Society To Protect Us
Michale Corleone doesn’t trust politicians, Police, or the American justice system. He puts 100% of his trust and loyalty into his own family.
- “I don’t trust society to protect us. I have no intention of placing my fate in the hands of men whose only qualification is that they managed to con a block of people to vote for them.” – Michael Corleone (The Godfather, 1969 Book)
I Trust These Men With My Life
When Michale Corleone tries to expand the family’s business interests in Nevada, he’s confronted by Senator Geary. Geary plans to extort the Corleone family and is hesitant to make such demands in front of a large audience. He asks to speak to Michale alone, but Michael lets the Senator know how much he trusts his men and their loyalty. This is one of my favorite Godfather quotes about loyalty.
- “I trust these men with my life, Senator. To ask them to leave would be an insult.” – Michael Corleone (The Godfather II, 1974 Film)
We Must Go On Our Knees To Don Corleone
When you have nowhere else to turn, you can always count on the loyalty of your family. Even though the undertaker, Amerigo Bonasera had tried to distance himself from the Corleone family, he comes back to them for help after his daughter is assaulted and the Police fail to deliver justice.
- “For justice, we must go on our knees to Don Corleone.” – Amerigo Bonasera (The Godfather, 1969 Book)
We Do Not Have To Give Each Other Assurances As If We Were Lawyers
In a tense meeting between all of the major US crime bosses, they start to make conditions before committing to peace. Barzini interrupts to remind the other bosses of their combined loyalty to the collective organization.
- “We are all reasonable men here, we do not have to give each other assurances as if we were lawyers.” – Emilio Barzini (The Godfather, 1972 Film)
Lawyers Can Steal More Money Than Men With Guns
- “Lawyers can steal more money with a briefcase than a thousand men with guns and masks.” – Don Vito Corleone (The Godfather, 1969 Book)
Any Man Can Turn Traitor
- “Any man can turn traitor.” – Sonny Corleone (The Godfather, 1969 Book)
I’m With You, Pop
After an assassination attempt, Don Vito Corleone is left hurt and vulnerable. While The Godfather’s enemies are attempting to finish the job, Michael comes to the aid of his father. During the rescue, Michael offers these words of love and loyalty to his father causing Don Vito to weep tears of happiness.
- “Just lie here, Pop. I’ll take care of you now. I’m with you now. I’m with you.” – Michael Corleone (The Godfather, 1972 Film)
I’m Gonna Make Him An Offer He Can’t Refuse
In one of the best scenes in The Godfather, Don Vito Corleone is visited by his godson, Johnny Fontane (Al Martino), a famous singer that appears to be loosely based on Frank Sinatra. Fontane is trying to secure a movie role but was rejected by the head of the film studio. Don Corleone offers to help and says this famous line:
- “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Don Vito Corleone (The Godfather, 1972 Film)
Loyalty Quotes From Mario Puzo’s Other Novels
There are obviously lots of fantastic Godfather quotes about loyalty. But Mario Puzo, author of The Godfather, also wrote lots of inspirational loyalty quotes in some of his other novels. Here are a few of those great loyalty quotes:
- “Do you believe a man can truly love a woman and constantly betray her? Never mind physically but betray her in his mind, in the very poetry of his soul. Well, it’s not easy but men do it all the time.” – Fools Die
- “Some honorable men spend their whole life preparing for a supreme act of treachery.” – Omerta
- “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other.” – The Family
Quotes About Loyalty From The Godfather
Thanks for reading this article. How was our list of Godfather quotes about loyalty? Did we leave out any of your favorite Godfather quotes? Please let us know in the comments.
- Powerful Godfather Quotes Full Of Valuable Life Lessons
- The Most Memorable Quotes From The Godfather
- Famous Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Top Keyser Soze Quotes From The Usual Suspects
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.