The Wizard Of Oz is one of the most memorable and well-known stories ever made. According to the Library of Congress, the musical fantasy film is the most seen film in movie history and continues to grow its fan base many decades later.
The film was nominated for six Academy Awards celebrating everything from its special effects to its musical score. But one of the best parts of the film is its script. There are so many great inspirational quotes from The Wizard Of Oz that still ring true to this day. If you want to take a walk down memory lane, keep reading. We’ve lined up the best quotes from Wizard Of Oz that will be sure to have you clicking your heels.
I Was Petrified
- Dorothy: “Weren’t you frightened?”
- Wizard Of Oz: “Frightened? Child, you’re talking to a man who’s laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe… I was petrified.”
I Do Not Want People To Call Me A Fool
- Scarecrow: “If anyone treads on my toes or sticks a pin into me, it doesn’t matter for I can’t feel it, but I do not want people to call me a fool.”
Some People Without Brains Do An Awful Lot Of Talking
- Dorothy: “How can you talk if you haven’t got a brain?”
- Scarecrow: “I don’t know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t they?”
True Courage Is Facing Danger When You Are Afraid
- The Wizard of Oz: “You have plenty of courage, I am sure. All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.”
- Cowardly Lion: “Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What have they got that I ain’t got?”
You’re Confusing Courage With Wisdom
- The Wizard Of Oz: “You are under the unfortunate impression that, just because you run away, you have no courage. You’re confusing courage with wisdom.”
Experience Is The Only Thing That Brings Knowledge
- The Wizard Of Oz: “A baby has brains, but it doesn’t know much. Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and – the longer you are on Earth – the more experience you are sure to get.”
Happiness Is The Best Thing In The World
- Tin Man: “I shall take the heart. For brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world.”
There Is No Place Like Home
- Dorothy: “No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful. There is no place like home.”
NERD NOTE: The Wizard Of Oz was one of the first major color films produced in Hollywood. As a result, the production crew obsessed over many of the colors and hues used in the film. It’s reported that the studio’s art department spent almost a full week trying to decide on the perfect shade of yellow to use for the yellow brick road.
Inspirational Quotes From The Wizard Of Oz Movie
From “You’re confusing courage with wisdom” to “There’s no place like home,” these inspirational quotes from The Wizard Of Oz all contain elements of wisdom that can help guide us in our daily lives. We’re sure that you have a few of these lingering in your head now after reading this article.
For more about this popular movie, go here to learn about why The Wizard Of Oz is the ultimate chick flick. You’ll never be able to watch the movie the same way again.
I’m a dog owner that loves poetry, vampires, mountain biking, and cosplay. I’m open to ideas and still trying to figure my SFO life out one blog post at a time. LF ISO SWF GSOH SI DDF.