For years, Apple Fanboys having been speculating, dreaming and even praying for a tablet. Rumors of a tablet-shaped-iPod or a “MacBook Touch” have been swirling around the Internet for years. However, these rumors always prove to be just that, rumors. Sadly, no Apple tablet product has ever come to market.
But lately, news about an Apple tablet is really looking good. Not only are bloggers and tech sites predicting that Apple will release a tablet computer this month, but also major news organizations like the Wall Street Journal are adding to the tablet rumor frenzy.
A recent article on WSJ Online is predicting the following:
- Apple Inc. will unveil a new multimedia tablet device later this month (Jan 2010)
- The new product will come with a 10 to 11-inch touch screen
- The announced product won’t ship until March
- The estimated price is around $1,000
What Will Apple Decide To Call Their New Tablet?
What will Apple call this new tablet product? If the current rumors are right, it’s going to be called an iSlate. For the past couple years, any product name attached to an Apple tablet rumor usually called it a “MacBook Touch.” Other potential names include iTablet, Mac Tablet, or iPad.
Apple Tablet Rumors
The blogosphere has been speculating and following rumors of an Apple tablet for years. Here’s a brief headline roundup that goes back to February 2006:
- 2006-02: What is Apple’s Big Surprise? A Tablet?
- 2008-07: Rumor: “MacBook Touch” Coming in October 2008
- 2008-10: Apple Plans MacBook Event as $800 Laptop Rumors Clog the Blogosphere
- 2009-07: Rumor: $800 Apple Tablet Due in October
- 2009-07: iTunes Digital Album Covers and MacBook Tablet Rumors
- 2009-08: Apple Tablet Rumors Intensify
Is This The Right Time To Release An Apple Tablet?
Is the market even ripe for a tablet? Earlier this month eReaders were all the rage at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show. Pair that with the rise of netbooks the past couple years, and the time feels right for tablets to finally make a big splash with consumers.
So will Steve Jobs finally grant Apple Fanboys their tablet wish? Guess we’ll know soon.
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.