From “It Rubs the Lotion On Its Skin” to “I Ate His Liver”, here are some of the eerier Silence Of The Lambs quotes from the 1991 film directed by Jonathan Demme.
When it comes to truly terrifying cinematic experiences, it’s hard to beat The Silence Of The Lambs. It’s filled with imagery and dialogue that never fail to make the small hairs on your hairs stand on end. It also contains some of the finest lines ever written. Who can forget the sight of Hannibal Lecter standing in his underground cell, staring out a Clarice Starling, with his slicked-back hair, pale skin, and cold eyes, slicing her with every word?
This article takes a look at some of the most famous quotes from The Silence Of The Lambs. These are the best of the best. You might not sleep well tonight, after reading this article, but the creepy experience will be totally worth it. Keep reading for some Silence Of The Lambs quotes that will definitely give you goosebumps.
“Quid pro quo. Yes or no Clarice.”
In this infamous scene from The Silence Of The Lambs, Clarice (Jodie Foster) shares some very painful memories from her childhood in exchange for Hannibal Lecter’s (Anthony Hopkins) psychological insights into her case.
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Quid pro quo Clarice I tell you things, you tell me things. Not about this case of course but about yourself. Quid pro quo. Yes or no Clarice.
“Fly back to school now, little Starling. Fly, fly, fly.”
After Jodie Foster’s character attempts to challenge Hannibal Lecter, he dismisses her with an insult that tells her to fly back to school at the FBI.
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: You fly back to school now, little Starling. Fly, fly, fly. Fly, fly, fly.
Typhoid And Swans
Miracles and diasters all come from the same place, according to Hannibal Lector.
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: I collect church collapses, recreationally. Did you see the recent one in Sicily? Marvelous! The facade fell on sixty-five grandmothers at a special mass. Was that evil? If so, who did it? If he’s up there, he just loves it, Officer Starling. Typhoid and swans – it all comes from the same place.
We Begin By Coveting What We See Every Day
As Hannibal Lector reminds Clarice, our eyes move over the things we want every day.
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: What does he do, Clarice? What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing? He covets. How do we begin to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day.
“Nothing happened to me… I happened.”
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened. You can’t reduce me to a set of influences.
Acts Of God
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Evil’s just destructive? Then storms are evil if it’s that simple. And we have a fire, and there’s hail. Underwriters lump it all under ‘Acts of God.
“It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.”
This is one of the most haunting Silence Of The Lambs quotes. After capturing a victim and imprisoning her in a hole, the serial killer Buffalo Bill treats her like an object instructing her to lotion her skin.
- Buffalo Bill: It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.
“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.”
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
“Have the lambs stopped screaming?”
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?
“I have no plans to call on you, Clarice, the world being more interesting with you in it.”
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter: I have no plans to call on you, Clarice, the world being more interesting with you in it.
The Most Famous Silence Of The Lambs Quotes
Movies have been a part of our world for barely a century, and yet they’ve had a tremendous impact on popular culture. There’s just something special about the act of sitting in the dark with strangers as a story unfolds before our eyes.
Not every movie is successful, just like not every movie is memorable. To be memorable, it needs imagery that captures the imagination, with dialogue that evokes something deep inside the mind. It’s truly a magical combination of things that only a few select movies have managed to reach.
Memorable movie quotes are fun to remember and repeat when the moment is right. Writer Thomas Harris created one of the most memorable characters in fiction, and these famous lines from The Silence of the Lambs will likely never be forgotten.
- The Greatest Pulp Fiction Movie Quotes
- Apocalypse Now Quotes That Will Put The Fear Of God In You
- The Most Memorable Quotes From The Godfather
- Heart-Pounding Jaws Quotes Listed In The Film’s Chronological Order
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.