Known for its mind-blowing ending, The Usual Suspects is a modern classic mystery film with a great script. Keep reading for our list of the best Usual Suspects quotes.
The Usual Suspects is one of those movies that when you find someone who hasn’t seen it yet, you get both jealous and excited at the same time. The film tells the story of a group of criminals who plot a crime together after a chance encounter in a police lineup. However, things quickly fall apart when they discover that they’ve accidentally crossed one of the most feared and dangerous criminals in the world, Keyzer Soze.
First released in 1995, the Bryan Singer-directed film features a cast of A-list actors in the early stages of their careers including Kevin Spacey and Benicio del Toro. While The Usual Suspects is primarily remembered for its brilliant casting and unforgettable ending, the film is full of incredible quotes. Between Christopher McQuarrie‘s great script and the cast’s clever ad libs, there are plenty of memorable Usual Suspects quotes that stand out. From lines that will make you laugh to ones that will make the hair on your neck stand up, here are the best Usual Suspects quotes.
“Hand me the keys…”
- Interrogation Cop: Number 1, step forward.
- Hockney: Hand me the keys, you f#¢king [email protected]¢ksucker.
- Interrogation Cop: Number 2, step forward.
- McManus: Give me the f#¢king keys, you f#¢king [email protected]¢ksucker motherf#¢ker, aaarrrghh.
- Interrogation Cop: Knock it off. Get back. Number 3, step forward.
- Fenster: (Laughing) Hand me the keys, you [email protected]¢ksucker.
- Interrogation Cop: In English, please?
- Fenster: Excuse me?
- Interrogation Cop: In English.
- Fenster: Hand me the f#¢king keys, you [email protected]¢ksucker, what the f#¢k?
NERD NOTE: The line-up scene in the Usual Suspects was originally scripted to be a serious part of the film. But according to Kevin Pollak, Benicio Del Toro kept farting and making the cast laugh. Director Bryan Singer was furious at the time, and couldn’t force the actors to keep a straight face. Trying to salvage the footage, Bryan Singer decided to change directions and edited together a collection of the funniest takes for the scene. And it worked! Benicio Del Toro’s farting helped create one of the most memorable scenes in the movie.
Who’s The Gimp?
- Hockney: Fuck who did it. What I want to know is who’s the gimp.
- Dean Keaton: He’s ok.
- Hockney: Says you. How do I know that? What about it, Pretzel-man? What’s your story?
- Dean Keaton: His name is Verbal. Verbal Kint.
- McManus : Verbal?
- Dean Keaton : Yeah.
- Verbal: ‘Roger’, really. People say I talk too much.
- Hockney: Yeah, I was just gonna tell you to shut up.
“You are a criminal.”
- Fenster: You do some time, they never let you go. They treat me like a criminal. I’ll end up a criminal.
- Hockney: You are a criminal.
- Fenster: Why you gotta go and do that? I’m trying to make a point.
“What, do you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?”
- Interrogation Cop: I can put you in Queens on the night of the hijacking.
- Hockney: Really? I live in Queens. Did you put that together yourself, Einstein? What, do you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?
“My piss came out like snot. I’m not kidding, it was all thick and gooey.”
- Verbal: Can I get some coffee?
- Dave Kujan: In a while. Let’s talk about the lineup.
- Verbal: I’m really thirsty. I used to dehydrate as a kid. One time it got so bad my piss came out like snot. I’m not kidding, it was all thick and gooey.
“I mean like orca fat.”
- Verbal: (Referring to Rabin) That guy is tense. Tension is a killer. I used to be in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois. The baritone was this guy named Kip Diskin, big fat guy, I mean, like, orca fat. He was so stressed in the morning…
- Dave Kujan: Verbal, you know we’re trying to help you.
- Verbal: Sure, and I appreciate that. And I wanna help you, Agent Kujan. I like cops. I would’ve liked to have been a Fed myself, but my CP…
- Dave Kujan: Verbal, you’re not telling us everything. I know you know something.
- Verbal: I told the DA everything I know.
- Dave Kujan: Verbal, I know you like Keaton. I know you think he’s a good man.
- Verbal: I know he was good.
- Dave Kujan: He was a corrupt cop.
- Verbal: Sure, 15 years ago, but he was a good thief. Anyway, the cops wouldn’t let him go legit.
- Dave Kujan: Dean Keaton was a piece of shit.
- Verbal: Are you trying to get a rise out of me, Agent Kujan?
- Dave Kujan: I just wanna hear your story.
- Verbal: It’s all there. May I have a cigarette?
“You give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you right now.”
- Keaton: You give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you right now.
“Whoever’s sleeping is your man.”
- Dave Kujan: First day on the job, you know what I learned? How to spot a murderer. Let’s say you arrest three guys for the same killing. You put them all in jail overnight. The next morning, whoever’s sleeping is your man. You see, if you’re guilty, you know you’re caught, you get some rest, you let your guard down.”
“A man can convince anyone he’s somebody else, but never himself.”
- Verbal: A man can convince anyone he’s somebody else, but never himself.
“Is it Friday already?”
- Fenster: Man, I had a finger up my asshole tonight.
- Hockney: Is it Friday already?
“In Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees… This is shit but, hey, I’m in a police station.”
- Verbal: Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit but, hey, I’m in a police station.
“The strangest thing…”
- Keaton: McManus. What the fuck is going on?
- McManus: The strangest thing… (falls over dead with a knife in his back)
“One Cannot Be Betrayed If One Has No People.”
Kobayashi: One cannot be betrayed if one has no people.
“How Do You Shoot The Devil In The Back?”
- Verbal: How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?
“I Believe In God, And The Only Thing That Scares Me Is Keyser Soze.”
- Dave Kujan: Do you believe in him, Verbal?
- Verbal: Keaton always said “I don’t believe in God, but I’m afraid of him”. Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
“The greatest trick the devil have ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist, and like that… he’s gone.”
- Verbal: After that my guess is that you will never hear from him again. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that… he is gone.
This is one of the most famous Usual Suspects quotes. It takes place in the final moments of the film while audiences are still trying to process what just happened and the true identity of Keyser Söze.
The Best Usual Suspects Quotes
I wish I could go back in time and watch The Usual Suspects again for the first time. It is such a great movie for so many reasons. Writer Christopher McQuarrie, did a wonderful job with the script and won an Oscar for his efforts in 1996. He worked for a detective agency and a law form before he became a screenwriter and used his experience to help develop the film’s characters. Most of the character names in the film are references to his former colleagues at these two jobs.
What did you think about our list of Usual Suspects quotes? There is so much to choose from that it’s hard to cherry-pick just a few of the best quotes.
Did we leave any of your favorite quotes from Usual Suspects off this list? Please let us know in the comments.