Ahh, video games! I can’t tell you how many enjoyable hours I’ve ended a tough workday with some gaming. And I still do. No matter what kind of gamer you are, or what games you prefer, gaming is a huge part of many of our lives… and the economy. Video games are big business and best selling video games can generate billions of dollars in revenue.
It’s been nearly 40 years since the first video games came out. Since those humble beginnings, countless game titles have been developed and billions of copies have been sold.
The Best Selling Video Games By Platform
This infographic of best-selling video games shows you how many titles were developed for the Nintendo, PlayStation, Sega, iOS, Steam and Xbox platforms. It also shows how many copies of the top-selling video game on that platform sold. Enjoy!
Were you surprised at the results in this best selling video games infographic? Here’s a detailed breakdown with additional info:
- NES (1983-2003): The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was a huge hit in the 1980s and it felt like you could find one in almost every American household. A total of 713 games were produced for the NES. The platform’s bestseller probably won’t come as a surprise. The game Super Mario Bros. came with most systems. The game Super Mario Bros. sold a total of 40.4 million copies.
- SNES (1990-2003): The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) has 783 games produced for the console. With 20.6 million copies sold, the best selling game was Super Mario World.
- Nintendo 64 (1996-2003): Of the modest 388 games produced for the Nintendo 64 (N64), Super Mario 64 sold 11.8 million copies.
- GameCube (2001-2007): The Nintendo GameCube had a couple hundred more video games produced than the Nintendo 64. But its top game, Super Smash Bros Melee sold 7 million copies. Far less than the Nintendo 64’s Super Mario 64.
- Wii (2006-2013): The Wii was a comeback console for Nintendo. An impressive 1,529 games were produced for the Nintendo Wii. The best seller probably won’t be a surprise. With 82.7 million copies sold, Wii Sports was the #1 game for the Wii and came bundled with most Wii consoles.
- Wii U (2012-2017): The follow-up console to the Nintendo Wii, the Wii U, had 727 games produced for the platform. Its top game was Mario Kart 8 which sold 8.2 million copies.
- Genesis (1988-1997): 897 games were produced for the 16-bit Sega Genesis. The platform’s best seller was Sonic The Hedgehog with 1.5 million copies sold.
- Sega CD (1991-1996): 209 games produced. Sonic CD was the platform’s best-seller at 1.5 million copies sold.
- Saturn (1995-1998): 597 games were produced for the 32-bit 5th generation Sega Saturn. The top-selling game was Virtual Street Fighter 2 with 2.5 million copies sold. The console is considered to be a commercial failure.
- Dreamcast (1998-2001): Known for its innovative controller, 638 games were produced for the Sega Dreamcast. Its top-selling game was Sonic Adventure with 2.5 million copies sold. The Sega Dreamcast was Sega’s last home gaming console ending the company’s 18 years in the console industry.
- PlayStation (1995-2005): Commonly called the PS, PS1 or PSX, the PlayStation was Sony’s first video game console. 2,412 games were produced for the Sony PlayStation. Its biggest game was the racing game Gran Turismo with 10.8 million copies sold.
- PlayStation 2 (2000-2013): Sony’s PlayStation 2, or PS2, is the best-selling video game console of all time. An incredible 2,501 games were produced for the console. The best-seller was Grand Theft Auto Vice City with 17.5 million copies sold.
- PlayStation 3 (2006-2017): 1,432 games were produced for the Sony PlayStation 3. The best selling game was Grand Theft Auto V with 21.3 million copies sold.
- PlayStation 4 (2013- ): Sony’s 8th generation console features an AMD Accelerated Processing Unit capable of 1.84 teraflops. 1,316 games have been produced for the Sony PlayStation 4 console so far. The best selling game is Uncharted 4 with 8.7 million copies sold.
- Xbox (2002-2009): 1,045 games were produced for the Xbox. The platform’s best seller was Halo 2 with 8 million copies sold.
- Xbox 360 (2005-2016): 1,182 games produced. The best-seller was Kinect Adventures! with 24 million copies sold.
- Xbox One (2013- ): 1,036 games have been produced so far for Microsoft’s Xbox One. Halo 5 is the platform’s best seller with 5 million copies sold. The Xbox One console has been a major failure for Microsoft.
- 12,959 games have been produced so far for Steam. The platform’s best seller is Men Of War Assault Squad 2.
- 762,698 games have been produced so far for Apple’s iOS on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Apple Watch