One of the most famous movies of all time, Gone With The Wind is a sweeping epic that tells the story of a woman’s determination to survive and rebuild her life after the American Civil War. Starring Clark Gable (Rhett Butler), Vivien Leigh (Scarlett O’Hara), Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilkes), and Olivia de Havilland (Melanie Hamilton), the film is full of both memorable characters and unforgettable quotes.
The Best Quotes From Gone With The Wind
Let’s review some of the most famous Gone With The Wind quotes and why we are still talking about them so many years later.
“Sir, You Are No Gentleman.”
Scarlett looks at Rhett and tells him, “Sir, you are no gentleman.” To which Rhett, quick on his feet replies, “And you, Miss, are no lady.”
- Scarlett: Sir, you are no gentleman.
- Rhett Butler: And you, Miss, are no lady.
“Rhett I’m So Sorry, For Everything.”
Scarlett looks at Rhett and apologizes, “Rhett I’m so sorry, for everything.” Rhett responds to her apology by saying, “My darling you’re such a child, you think by saying “I’m sorry” all the past can be corrected.” This quote is logical and timeless and is still said by people today.
- Rhett Butler: It seems we’ve been at cross purposes, doesn’t it? But it’s no use now. As long as there was Bonnie, there was a chance that we might be happy. I liked to think that Bonnie was you, a little girl again, before the war, and poverty had done things to you. She was so like you, and I could pet her, and spoil her, as I wanted to spoil you. But when she went, she took everything.
- Scarlett: Oh, Rhett, Rhett please don’t say that. I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry for everything.
- Rhett Butler: My darling, you’re such a child. You think that by saying, “I’m sorry,” all the past can be corrected. Here, take my handkerchief. Never, at any crisis of your life, have I known you to have a handkerchief.
- Scarlett: Rhett! Rhett, where are you going?
- Rhett Butler: I’m going back to Charleston, back where I belong.
- Scarlett: Please, please take me with you!
- Rhett Butler: No, I’m through with everything here. I want peace. I want to see if somewhere there isn’t something left in life of charm and grace. Do you know what I’m talking about?
- Scarlett: No! I only know that I love you.
- Rhett Butler: That’s your misfortune.
“With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.”
- Rhett Butler: With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
“That’s Rhett Butler. He’s from Charleston. He has the most terrible reputation.”
- Scarlett: Cathleen, who’s that?
- Cathleen Calvert: Who?
- Scarlett: That man looking at us and smiling. The nasty dog.
- Cathleen Calvert: My dear, don’t you know? That’s Rhett Butler. He’s from Charleston. He has the most terrible reputation.
- Scarlett: He looks as if… as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy.
“I’ll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.”
This is one of the most relatable Scarlett Gone With The Wind quotes. It’s also the last line in the film. Everyone has wanted to put something off, even if it is just until the next day.
- Scarlett: Tara! Home. I’ll go home. And I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all… tomorrow is another day.
“Did you ever think of marrying just for fun?”
This is one of the funnier Scarlett Gone With The Wind quotes. Back when Gone with the Wind premiered in 1939, women were still fighting for equality. Scarlett was the figure of a strong woman that didn’t want to be married to just be a trophy wife and the following quote proves it:
- Rhett: Did you ever think of marrying just for fun?
- Scarlet: Marriage, fun? Fiddle-dee-dee. Fun for men, you mean.
“Never mind about loving me, you’re a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett! Kiss me!”
A lot of the Rhett Butler quotes in this article are about kissing, including this one.
- Scarlett: (Pleading with Rhett as he is about to leave to join the Confederate Army) Oh, Rhett! Please, don’t go! You can’t leave me! Please! I’ll never forgive you!
- Rhett Butler: I’m not asking you to forgive me. I’ll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I’ll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There’s one thing I do know… and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we’re alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names.
- Scarlett: (Struggles) Don’t hold me like that!
- Rhett Butler: (Holds her tighter) Scarlett! Look at me! I’ve loved you more than I’ve ever loved any woman, and I’ve waited for you longer than I’ve ever waited for any woman.
- (Kisses her forehead)
- Scarlett: (Turns her face away) Let me alone!
- Rhett Butler: (Forces her to look him in the eyes) Here’s a soldier of the South who loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about loving me, you’re a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett! Kiss me! Kiss me… once… (He kisses her)
“Open your eyes and look at me. No, I don’t think I will kiss you…”
This is one of the most powerful Rhett Butler Gone With The Wind quotes. The full quote is, “Open your eyes and look at me. No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.” Rhett says this to Scarlett, eluding that he wants to kiss her, but he’s not going to give into her.
- Rhett Butler: Open your eyes and look at me. No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
“If I said I was madly in love with you, you’d know I was lying.”
This is one of the most memorable quotes from Scarlett O’Hara. She says this directly to Rhett about her feelings for him.
- Scarlett: (To Rhett) If I said I was madly in love with you, you’d know I was lying.
“I’ve always had a weakness for lost causes…”
- Scarlett: Rhett, how could you do this to me, and why should you go now that, after it’s all over and I need you, why? Why?
- Rhett Butler: Why? Maybe it’s because I’ve always had a weakness for lost causes, once they’re really lost. Or maybe, maybe I’m ashamed of myself. Who knows?
“Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?”
- Mammy: Oh now, Miss Scarlett, you come on and be good and eat just a little, honey!
- Scarlett: No! I’m going to have a good time today, and do my eating at the barbecue.
- Mammy: If you don’t care what folks says about this family, I does! I is told you and told you that you can always tell a lady by the way she eat in front of folks like a bird. And I ain’t aiming for you to go to Mr. John Wilkes’ and eat like a field hand and gobble like a hog!
- Scarlett: Fiddle-dee-dee! Ashley Wilkes told me he likes to see a girl with a healthy appetite!
- Mammy: What gentlemen says and what they thinks is two different things, and I ain’t noticed Mr. Ashley asking for to marry you.
- (Scarlett turns around slowly to face Mammy then throws her small black umbrella and stuffs food into her mouth)
- Mammy: Now, don’t eat too fast. Ain’t no need a having for it come right back up again!
- Scarlett: (With her mouth full) Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?
“As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.”
- Scarlett: As God is my witness, as God is my witness, they’re not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when it’s all over, I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.
“Don’t call me sugar.”
- Scarlett: Great balls of fire. Don’t bother me anymore, and don’t call me sugar.
“I intend on getting still drunker before this evening’s over.”
- Rhett Butler: I’m very drunk, and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening’s over.
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
Last but not least, here’s one of the most famous Gone With The Wind quotes (and insults), from the movie. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn,” is said by Rhett Butler and is one of the most quoted lines in Hollywood history.
- Scarlett: Rhett, Rhett… Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?
- Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.
Which Of These Gone With The Wind Movie Quotes Are Your Favorites?
What did you think of these Gone With The Wind quotes? Did we miss any of your favorites? Please let us know in the comments, and thanks for reading! Also, don’t forget to share this article with a friend.
I’m a dog owner that loves poetry, vampires, mountain biking, and cosplay. I’m open to ideas and still trying to figure my SFO life out one blog post at a time. LF ISO SWF GSOH SI DDF.