Lord Of The Rings is one of the most awarded and financially successful film franchises of all time. Fans of the J. R. R. Tolkien books flocked to theaters to see their favorite characters brought to life. Each of the three films from the Lord of the Rings trilogy grossed more than $300 million and quickly made all things LOTR cultural phenomena.
Part of what made the movie franchise so popular was how quotable it was. People love Lord of the Rings movie quotes. Phrases like “You shall not pass” and “And so it begins” can be easily worked into daily conversation. Here are some of the most popular Lord of the Rings quotes of all time. Read on!
And So It Begins
- King Theoden: And so it begins.
This quote is from the character King Théoden (Bernard Hill) in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002). It’s often used to convey a sense of foreboding right before something bad is about to happen. In the film, King Théoden utters the phrase “So it begins” in the moments leading up to the Battle at Helm’s Deep.
A Wizard Is Never Late
- Gandalf the Grey: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
You Shall Not Pass!
- Gandalf: You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You shall not pass!
NERD NOTE: In the film, Gandalf says both “You cannot pass” and “You shall not pass.” But in the book, he only says “You cannot pass.”
Remember What I Told You
- Arwen: Do you remember what I told you?
- Aragorn: You said you would bind yourself to me, and forsaking immortal life of your people.
- Arwen: And to that I hold. I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.
- Bilbo Baggins: I thought of up an ending for my book. “And he lives happily ever after, till the end of his days.”
One Ring To Rule Them All
- Lady Galadriel: The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three rings were given to the Elves; immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf Lords, great miners, and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the Race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged, in secret, a Master Ring to control all others. And into this Ring, he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One Ring to rule them all.
Finding Good In This World
- Frodo Baggins: What are we holding on to, Sam?
- Samwise Gamgee: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.
Back You Devils!
- Samwise Gamgee: Back you, devils!
- Pippin: It’s talking, Merry. The tree is talking.
In the second film in director Peter Jackson‘s Lord of The Rings trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Pippin, and Merry are running away from an Orc when they get some unlikely help from a tree.
- Aragorn: This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine.
- Legolas: We must move on, we cannot linger.
Want to Know More Lord of the Rings Quotes?
The best Lord of the Rings quotes are the ones that you can always recite in any conversation. They are the quotes you remember, even if it’s been years since you’ve seen the movies. Did we miss any of your favorite quotes from Lord Of The Rings? Please let us know in the comments.