Audiences have been riveted to the Rocky film franchise ever since Sylvester Stallone first introduced us to Rocky Balboa in 1976 in the film Rocky. We can all learn a thing or two from Rocky’s rags to riches American Dream story. Here are the most motivational Rocky quotes to help give you the drive you need to win!
“If This Is Something You Gotta Do, Then You Do It. Fighters Fight.”
Have you ever been scared to go after a dream? Do you think it’s too big or unrealistic? Did someone talk you out of it? In the 2006 film Rocky Balboa, a former heavyweight champion decided to return to the ring from retirement, and in doing so he motivated millions. Why was the Italian Stallion such a motivation?
Rocky pushed his body to limits. He never gave up. He was the underdog, but he succeeded. When you’re down and out, remember Rocky’s tenacity and dedication to the ring. He didn’t allow the naysayers to prevent him from achieving his dreams! If there is something you want to do, you just have to do it. Fighters fight!
- Rocky: It doesn’t matter how this looks to other people, it matters how it looks to you. If this is something you gotta do, then you do it. Fighters fight.
“Going In One More Round When You Don’t Think You Can. That’s What Makes All the Difference In Your Life.”
This is a great Rocky quote from the 1985 film Rocky IV. Remember it any time you find yourself striving for your goals. Whether you’re at the gym or work, keep going. Write one more paragraph. Send one more email. Do one more burpee. One more round can make all the difference in achieving your goals and reaching your dreams.
- Rocky: Going in one more round when you don’t think you can – that’s what makes all the difference in your life.
“Who’s Got the Right to Stop You?”
Tyler Perry, Oprah Winfrey, J.K. Rowling: what do they have in common? They were all homeless at one time, but they never allowed their circumstances to define them. If you’re willing to go through the battle then no one has the right to stop you as Rocky had to explain to a Boxing Commissioner in Rocky Balboa (2006).
- Rocky Balboa: Yo, don’t I got some rights?
- Boxing Commissioner: What rights do you think you’re referring to?
- Rocky Balboa: Rights, like in that official piece of paper they wrote down the street there?
- Boxing Commissioner: That’s the Bill of Rights.
- Rocky Balboa: Yeah, yeah. Bill of Rights. Don’t it say something about going after what makes you happy?
- Boxing Commissioner: No, that’s the pursuit of happiness. But what’s your point
- Rocky Balboa: My point is I’m pursuing something and nobody looks too happy about it.
- Boxing Commissioner: But… we’re just looking out for your interests.
- Rocky Balboa: I appreciate that, but maybe you’re looking out for your interests just a little bit more. I mean you shouldn’t be asking people to come down here and pay the freight on something they paid, it still ain’t good enough, I mean you think that’s right? I mean maybe you’re doing your job but why you gotta stop me from doing mine? Cause if you’re willing to go through all the battling you got to go through to get where you want to get, who’s got the right to stop you? I mean maybe some of you guys got something you never finished, something you really want to do, something you never said to someone, something… and you’re told no, even after you paid your dues? Who’s got the right to tell you that, who? Nobody! It’s your right to listen to your gut, it ain’t nobody’s right to say no after you earned the right to be where you want to be and do what you want to do!… You know, the older I get the more things I gotta leave behind, that’s life. The only thing I’m asking you guys to leave on the table… is what’s right.
“Every Champion Was Once a Contender Who Refused to Give Up.”
In this quote from Creed II (2018), Rocky explains how champions were all contenders who simply refused to give up. All of the greats were once a contender before they received their titles as champions. You can be a champion also, as long as you never give up on your goal.
- Rocky: Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up.
“Life Ain’t About How Hard You Hit. It’s About How Hard You Can Get Hit And Keep Moving Forward… That’s How Winning Is Done!”
In this famous scene from Rocky Balboa (2006), Rocky is confronted by his son who doesn’t want Rocky to fight anymore. His son thinks that Rocky will lose and embarrass the family. This is a great boxing reference that translates very well into real life. Sure Rocky could hit hard, but the amount of hits he was able to take is what determined his success. Life is going to hit you. How many hits can you take and keep going?
- Rocky: Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that! I’m always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You’re my son and you’re my blood. You’re the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, you ain’t gonna have a life. Don’t forget to visit your mother.
“Success Is Usually The Culmination Of Controlling Failure.”
This quote is actually from Sylvester Stallone himself, not Rocky. Failure is inevitable, but what do you do with it? Does is fire the fuel? Did you learn from it? If you take your failures as learning opportunities and use them to grow, there’s no doubt that you will be successful.
Sylvester Stallone: Success is usually the culmination of controlling failure.
“You See This Guy Staring Back at You? That’s Your Toughest Opponent.”
This is one of my favorite Rocky quotes. Many times we’re our own biggest critic. Many times we’re the only person holding us back. This quote is from the 2015 film titled Creed where Sylvester Stallone is now training Adonis Jordan, the son of his former rival, Apollo Creed.
- Rocky Balboa: You see this guy here staring back at you? That’s your toughest opponent. Every time you get into the ring, that’s who you are going against. I believe that in boxing, and I do believe that in life.
Are you being too hard on yourself, or are you not working hard enough? At the end of the day, the guy in the mirror is the only one that can defeat you.
Use These Rocky Quotes To Find Inspiration And Motivation In Your Life
Remember one of these Rocky quotes anytime you feel like giving up. If he can redeem his career from retirement, you can also achieve your goals.
Love reading motivational movie quotes? Check out these inspirational movie quotes from Indiana Jones or Dead Poets Society.