While millions of people were struggling to survive the COVID-19 pandemic, many of America’s billionaires continued to increase their personal wealth. Here’s a map of the richest person in every state in America.
The Richest Person In Every State Of America
The United States is home to many of the world’s billionaires. In fact, there are over 800 billionaires among America’s population of 330 million. That means there’s about 1 billionaire for every 412,000 people. Here are some insights based on the map data:
- The US states with the most billionaires are California, Texas, and Washington.
- Several billionaires on the list have become household names including Elon Musk (Tesla, Space X), Jeff Bezos (Amazon, Blue Origin), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway), Phil Knight (Nike), and Michael Bloomberg (Bloomberg).
- With a net worth of $193.8B, Jeff Bezos, the founder, and CEO of Amazon is the richest person in the United States. Amazon has benefited tremendously from the Coronavirus pandemic as many Americans have shifted their daily spending habits from in-person to online.
- Jeff Bezos’ personal fortune ($193.8B) is bigger than the GDP of the country Qatar ($175.8B).
- As Tesla stock’s price continued to rise in 2020, Elon Musk’s wealth quickly grew to $191.8B surpassing other U.S. billionaires including Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg ($101.3B).
- Elon Musk added an astonishing $140B to his net worth in 2020 alone!
- The rich got a lot richer during the pandemic. America’s top five billionaires collectively grew their wealth by 85% in the year 2020 adding $303 billion to their existing fortunes.
- A few U.S. states don’t have any billionaire residents, including Alaska, North Dakota, Alabama, New Hampshire, and New Mexico.
- Besides the states with no billionaires, Idaho, Utah, South Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia, South Carolina, Rhode Island, and Maine have the least amount of billionaires per state.
- There are no trillionaires in the United States… yet, but that’s likely just a matter of time.
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.