Does this black and red iPod look familiar? It should. It’s the second coming of the U2 iPod.
The original iPod U2 Special Edition was announced on October 24, 2004, and was the first black iPod Apple ever produced. Apple discontinued it about a year later on October 12, 2005, and rabid U2 fans have been without a Rattle & Hum to satisfy their portable music needs ever since.
Operating under some Mysterious Ways, on 06.06.06, (the day of the devil???) Apple announced a reincarnation of iPod U2 Special Edition. The encore version is actually $20 cheaper than the original but has a bigger hard drive, color screen and is video ready.
Apple Announces A New U2 iPod
Like the original U2 iPod, the new version comes with the autographs of each band member engraved on the back (black metal this time, not aluminum) and a coupon for U2 content from the iTunes Store. The exclusive content offering includes 30-minutes of music videos and band interviews.
Let’s compare the original iPod U2 Special Edition with the new reincarnated version.
– original: $349
– encore: $329
Color of metal backing
– encore: black
iTunes Music Store Coupon
– original: $50 off the price of a digital U2 box set called The Complete U2
– encore: free 30-minutes of music videos and band interviews
Here are some technical details for the new iPod U2 Special Edition:
- Holds up to 7,500 songs and album art
- Holds up to 25,000 photos
- Holds up to 75 hours of video
- Accessory-compatible Dock connector
- 2.5-inch (diagonal) color LCD with LED backlight
- Comes with earbud headphones and USB cable
- Autographs of all U2 members on the back
- Bright 2.5-inch display with LED backlight
- Up to 14 hours of battery life; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback
- Works with Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP
If you are a U2 fan who still hasn’t found what you are looking for in a mp3 player, perhaps you should consider getting this newest member in the iPod family. The iPod U2 Special Edition is available on eBay and Amazon.