A bride-to-be ended up in the emergency room last Sunday after swallowing a one-inch nail hidden in her Tesco Value Meal of macaroni and cheese. 21-year old Rebecca Shorten had opted for the quick and easy meal two weeks before her wedding rather than cook, but soon regretted that fateful decision.
As the woman from Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England bit into the cheap pasta and cheese dinner, she felt something hard in her mouth. There was a metal nail nestled among the macaroni from her Tesco Value Meal. Recovering from her shock, she cautiously took another bite only to find a second sharp nail poking out of the previously innocuous side dish.
Inspecting her plate further, Rebecca spotted a third loose nail rolling around amid the cheese sauce. “I was absolutely horrified when I found the nails,” she told a Daily Mail reporter. “I bit into something hard, then I took another bite and saw a nail in the macaroni. I couldn’t believe it when I then saw another nail on the plate.”
Within hours of her revolting discovery in her macaroni and cheese, Rebecca grew ill and headed to A&E at Lincoln County Hospital. Doctors took X-rays confirming one nail had become lodged in her intestines after being accidentally ingested. Although originally released, intense stomach pains brought Rebecca back to the hospital the very next day where she remains under observation.
Morphine manages her discomfort as doctors monitor the foreign object’s movement through her system. In response, Tesco immediately recalled all frozen Value macaroni and cheese products from its shelves. A spokesperson called the contaminated microwavable dinner “very serious,” launching an urgent investigation.
The alarming nails have already impacted Rebecca’s life in the short-term, causing her hospitalization and disrupting last minute wedding plans. In the long run, she’s sworn off all Tesco ready-made meals.
While this story concluded safely, it serves as an important reminder to always double check your food for foreign objects. People have found everything from stranger’s teeth and condoms to snake heads in their meals before. Bitter beware!
I’m a dog owner that loves poetry, vampires, mountain biking, and cosplay. I’m open to ideas and still trying to figure my SFO life out one blog post at a time. LF ISO SWF GSOH SI DDF.