When you’re asked what’s your favorite movie from the late 1960s, which ones come to mind? You might say Easy Rider or Cool Hand Luke. One move that has stood the test of time from this era is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (~$9 via Amazon).
The movie was so successful, it ranks #34 on the list of 100 Top Grossing Films, and it won four Academy Awards. Check out this list of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid quotes and relive some of the greatness of the film.
The Man With Vision
- Butch Cassidy: I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.
- Percy Garris: I’m not crazy, I’m just colorful.
Nobody Knows Anything.
- Sundance Kid: Nobody knows anything.
Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite?
- Butch Cassidy: Well, that ought to do it.
- (After blowing the train car to smithereens)
- Sundance Kid: Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
No Time For Bravery
- (In this scene, Butch and Sundance are in gunfight with the police in Bolivia.)
- Butch: We’re going to run out unless we can get to that mule and get some more.
- Sundance: I’ll go.
- Butch: This is no time for bravery. I’ll let ya!
Soft Touch And Rotten Gambler
- Butch: Do you believe I’m broke already?
- Etta: Why is there never any money, Butch?
- Butch: Well, I swear, Etta, I don’t know. I’ve been working like a dog all my life and I can’t get a penny ahead.
- Etta: Sundance says it’s because you’re a soft touch, and always taking expensive vacations, and buying drinks for everyone, and you’re a rotten gambler.
- Butch: Well that might have something to do with it.
I Never Shot Anybody
- Butch: Kid, there’s something I ought to tell you. I never shot anybody before.
- Sundance: One hell of a time to tell me!
Rules? In A Knife Fight? No Rules!
(Harvey has challenged Butch to fight for control of the Hole-in-the-Wall gang.)
- Harvey Logan: Guns or knives?
- Butch Cassidy: Neither?
- Harvey Logan: Pick!
- Butch Cassidy: I don’t want to shoot with you, Harvey.
- Harvey Logan: (Draws a big knife) Anything you say, Butch.
- [Butch walks over to Sundance]
- Butch Cassidy: (In a low voice) Maybe there’s a way to make a profit in this. Bet on Logan.
- Sundance Kid: I would, but who’d bet on you?
- Harvey Logan: Sundance, when we’re done and he’s dead, you’re welcome to stay.
- Butch Cassidy: (Low voice, to Sundance) Listen, I don’t mean to be a sore loser, but when it’s done, if I’m dead, kill him.
- Sundance Kid: (Low voice to Butch) Love to.
- (Waves to Harvey and smiles)
- Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
- Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!
- (Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin)
- Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint’ going to be any rules, let’s get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
- Sundance Kid: (Quickly) 1,2,3, go!
- (Butch knocks Harvey out)
- Flat Nose Curry: I was really rooting for you, Butch.
- Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That’s what sustained me in my time of trouble.
You Know, When I Was A Kid, I Always Thought I’D Grow Up To Be A Hero
- Butch Cassidy: You know, when I was a kid, I always thought I’d grow up to be a hero.
- Sundance Kid: Well, it’s too late now.
- Butch Cassidy: What’d you say that for? You didn’t have to say something like that.
This Might Be The Atlantic City, New Jersey Of All Bolivia For All You Know.
- Butch Cassidy: Jeesh, all Bolivia can’t look like this.
- Sundance Kid: How do you know? This might be the garden spot of the whole country. People may travel hundreds of miles just to get to this spot where we’re standing now. This might be the Atlantic City, New Jersey of all Bolivia for all you know.
- Butch Cassidy: Look, I know a lot more about Bolivia than you know about Atlantic City, New Jersey, I can tell you that!
- Sundance Kid: Aha! You do, huh? I was born there, I was born in New Jersey. Was brought up there, so…
- Butch Cassidy: You’re from the east? I didn’t know that.
- Sundance Kid: The total tonnage of what you don’t know is enough to shatter…
- Etta Place: I’m not sure we’re accomplishing as much as we’d like here.
- Sundance Kid: Listen, your job is to back me up, because you’d starve without me. And you, your job is to shut up!
- Butch Cassidy: He’ll feel a lot better after he’s robbed a couple of banks.
- Sundance Kid: Bolivia. Hahahaha…
Bolivia & California
- Butch Cassidy: When I say Bolivia, you just think California.
Let’s Go Someplace Like Bolivia
- Butch Cassidy: Kid — the next time I say, ‘Let’s go someplace like Bolivia,’ let’s go someplace like Bolivia.
I Didn’t Know You Were the Sundance Kid
- Card Player: I didn’t know you were the Sundance Kid when I said you were cheating. If I draw on you, you’ll kill me.
- Sundance: There’s that possibility.
The Price for Beauty
- Butch: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
- Guard: People kept robbing it.
- Butch: Small price to pay for beauty.
Oh, Please! Everything With You Has Got To Be Perfect!
- Sundance Kid: It’s your great ideas that got us into this mess. I never want to hear another one of your great ideas. Ever!
- Butch Cassidy: Australia. I thought that secretly you wanted to know so I told you.
- Sundance Kid: That’s your great idea?
- Butch Cassidy: The latest in a long line. We get out of here alive, we go to Australia. Goodbye, Bolivia. Hello to Australia.
- Sundance Kid: Australia is no better than here.
- Butch Cassidy: That’s all you know.
- Sundance Kid: Name me one thing.
- Butch Cassidy: They speak English in Australia.
- Sundance Kid: They do?
- Butch Cassidy: That’s right, smart guy, so we wouldn’t be foreigners. We’d blend in more easily. They got horses in Australia and thousands of miles of countryside that we can hide out in, and good climate. Nice beaches. You can learn to swim.
- Sundance Kid: No. Swimming isn’t important. What about the banks?
- Butch Cassidy: Very easy. Easy, ripe, and luscious.
- Sundance Kid: The banks or the women?
- Butch Cassidy: Well, once you get one you get the other.
- Sundance Kid: But… Australia is quite a long way from here.
- Butch Cassidy: Oh, please! Everything with you has got to be perfect!
- Sundance Kid: I just don’t want to get there and realize that it stinks, that’s all.
- Butch Cassidy: At least think about it.
- Sundance Kid: All right… I’ll think about it.
The Fall’ll Probably Kill Ya!
- Sundance Kid: (Butch and the Kid are on the edge of a cliff preparing to take on the posse pursuing them) Ready?
- Butch Cassidy: No, we’ll jump.
- Sundance Kid: Like hell, we will.
- Butch Cassidy: No, it’ll be okay. If the water’s deep enough and we don’t get squished to death, they’ll never follow us.
- Sundance Kid: How do you know?
- Butch Cassidy: Would you make a jump like that if you didn’t have to?
- Sundance Kid: I have to and I’m not gonna.
- Butch Cassidy: Well, we got to. Otherwise, we’re dead. We’re just gonna have to go back down the same way they come. Come on.
- Sundance Kid: Just one clear shot, that’s all I want.
- Butch Cassidy: Come on.
- Sundance Kid: Uh-uh.
- Butch Cassidy: (Leans into the Kid) We got to!
- Sundance Kid: Get away from me.
- Butch Cassidy: Why?
- Sundance Kid: I wanna fight ’em!
- Butch Cassidy: They’ll kill us.
- Sundance Kid: Maybe.
- Butch Cassidy: You wanna die?
- Sundance Kid: Do you?
- Butch Cassidy: Alright. I’ll jump first.
- Sundance Kid: Nope.
- Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
- Sundance Kid: No, I said.
- Butch Cassidy: What’s the matter with you?
- Sundance Kid: I can’t swim!
- Butch Cassidy: (Pauses, then laughs) Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill ya.
- (Pause, then they start running to the edge)
- Sundance Kid: OOOOH SHI!!!T!
- (Butch and the Kid land in the water)
Don’t You Get Sick Of Being Right All The Time?
- (Butch and Sundance are under fire from unseen Bolivian policemen)
- Butch Cassidy: What do you think? I’ll bet it’s just one guy.
- (The Sundance Kid takes off his hat and holds it outward which is immediately shot out of his hand by at least five gunshots)
- Sundance Kid: Don’t you get sick of being right all the time?
For A Moment There I Thought We Were In Trouble
- (last lines)
- Butch Cassidy: Ready? OK, when we get outside and we get to the horses, whatever happens, just remember one thing… hey, wait a minute.
- Sundance Kid: What?
- Butch Cassidy: You didn’t see Lefors out there, did you?
- Sundance Kid: Lefors? No.
- Butch Cassidy: Oh, good. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.
- (They both run out of the building, only to be met with gunfire from all sides from the Bolivian army)
- Bolivian police commander: ¡Fuego!
- (A volley of shots is heard)
- Bolivian police commander: ¡Fuego!
- (Another gun volley)
- Bolivian police commander: ¡Fuego!
The Best Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid Quotes
They say that movies are a reflection of society and culture, and no movie summed up the rebellious nature of the times like this film. Robert Redford and Paul Newman were the anti-heroes, bank robbers that you couldn’t help but root for.
These Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid quotes are reminders of how fun this movie is to watch at home. It continues to stand the test of time.
What were your favorite quotes from this film? Let us know in the comments below.
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.