Are you adventurous? Around 68% of Americans wish they were more adventurous than they are. Even those of us who have traveled the world and live off adrenaline rushes need some additional inspiration now and then. And where better to find inspiration than from everyone’s favorite fictional archaeologist and explorer, Indiana Jones. Check out these Indiana Jones quotes to help inspire your next adventure!
“Fortune And Glory Kid, Fortune And Glory”
In the 1984 Steven Spielberg directed film, Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, Jones and his young assistant, Short Round (Ke Huy Quan), find themselves on the trail of the Sankara Stones. These column stones contain magical diamonds inside that glow when they are brought together and have the power to bring both life and death by the owner.
When Short Round asks Indiana Jones about Sankara and why someone would be so desperate to get their hands on the Shankara stones, Jones knows the answer. He simply replies, “Fortune and glory kid, fortune and glory.”
“You Call This Archeology?”
We all know that Indiana Jones isn’t an ordinary archeology professor. And we can’t all be spies and explorers. But there are ways to find adventure in your life no matter what your occupation.
“It’s Not the Years, Honey. It’s the Mileage.”
This is one of the best Indiana Jones quotes. In Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Jones is recovering from his cuts and bruises on a ship when his lover Marion (Karen Allen) says to him, “You’re not the man I knew ten years ago.”
He concedes with the response, “It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage.”
This poetic exchange is one of the most famous Indiana Jones quotes from the entire franchise. It also sums up the fact that time isn’t everything. It’s how we use the time we have on this earth that matters the most. How will you spend your time, watching TV and shopping, or finding new experiences and adventures?
“Snakes?! Why’d It Have To Be Snakes?”
Indiana Jones has encountered quite a few creatures during his adventures, but there’s one type of animal that he especially dislikes, snakes. So when Jones discovers a snake-infested chamber, this was his response, “Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?” His companion Sallah (John Rhys-Davies), has the perfect response, “You go first!”
We all want to be adventurous. But, sometimes, life will present us with a situation that we don’t like or feel comfortable in. That’s when you need to face your fears and “go first.”
“Indiana, We Are Simply Passing Through History. This… This is History.”
Indian Jones finds himself in a desperate situation towards the end of the movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Nazis have captured both his girlfriend Marion, and the Ark Of The Covenant. In an attempt to rescue Marion, he stops a Nazi convoy and threatens to blow up the Ark with a bazooka. But Doctor Jones gives up after his adversary reminds him that, “We are simply passing through history.” But the Ark is “history.”
In life, it’s easy to forget that you can do more than just pass through history. Every day you have an opportunity to make history and be a part of history. After all, the great explorers of the past were flesh and blood, just like you.
- Dr. Jones: Hello! (Indy is aiming a grenade launcher at the Ark from a ridge above)
- Belloq: Jones? Jones?!
- Dr. Jones: I’m gonna blow up the Ark, René!
- Belloq: Your persistence surprises even me! You’re going to give mercenaries a bad name.
- Col. Dietrich: Dr. Jones? Surely you don’t think you can escape from this island?
- Dr. Jones: That depends on how reasonable we’re all willing to be. All I want is the girl.
- Col. Dietrich: If we refuse?
- Dr. Jones: Then your Führer has no prize.
- Belloq: (ordering the soldiers) Okay, stand back. All of you, stand back. Get back. (to Jones) Okay, Jones. You win. Blow it up. (soldiers move to encircle the Ark Of The Covenant, but Belloq takes a machine gun and forces them back) Yes, blow it up! Blow it back to God. All your life has been spent in pursuit of archaeological relics. Inside the Ark are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it open as well as I. Indiana… we are simply passing through history. This… (gestures to the Ark) This is history. (Marion, Toht, Dietrich and the soldiers exchange pensive looks) Do as you will. (Indy begrudgingly lowers the grenade launcher and soldiers appear behind him)
NERD NOTE: The canyon in Raiders Of The Lost Ark where Indiana Jones threatens to blow up the Ark might look familiar to Star Wars fans. It’s the same canyon where R2-D2 was captured by the Jawas in Star Wars: A New Hope.
“X Never, Ever Marks the Spot.”
After the opening flashback scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, we find professor Jones in his classroom telling his students this famous line, “X” never, ever, marks the spot.
- Professor Jones: “Archaeology is the search for fact … not truth. If it’s truth you’re interested in, Dr. Tyree’s philosophy class is right down the hall. So forget any ideas you’ve got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and “X” never, ever, marks the spot. Seventy percent of all archaeology is done in the library.”
On generic treasure maps, X marks the spot. But, as an explorer, Jones knows that most treatures are normally not in the most obvious locations. This is a valuable lesson to remember the next time you’re on an adventure. Sometimes it’s best to follow the path less traveled. You might discover something that not many others have seen.
However, later in the film, Jones eats his words when he finds a hidden chamber in Venice hidden in plain sight, under a giant X on the floor. In this case, X marks the spot… literally. So it’s also good to know when to break your own rules.
Famous Quotes From Indiana Jones
If you consider yourself adventurous, then you’ll probably find this collection of famous Indiana Jones movie quotes inspirational. Sometimes, we all start to feel low and uninspired, but a line or two from Indiana Jones can help get us back on track.
If this list of Indiana Jones quotes wasn’t for you, then perhaps these inspirational Whitney Houston quotes will be more your style.
NERD NOTE: Harrison Ford wasn’t the first choice to play the role of Indiana Jones. Tom Selleck was originally cast in the role but dropped out when he got offered the lead in the TV show “Magnum P.I.“. After Selleck turned down Indiana Jones, producers Steven Spielberg and George Lucas approached Ford with the role. Lucas was hesitant to cast Ford again since he had already been in two of Lucas’s previous movies, Star Wars and(Amazon link) American Graffiti.
Frank Wilson is a retired teacher with over 30 years of combined experience in the education, small business technology, and real estate business. He now blogs as a hobby and spends most days tinkering with old computers. Wilson is passionate about tech, enjoys fishing, and loves drinking beer.