The Oscar-winning 1995 film Braveheart stars Mel Gibson and tells the story of a fearless leader named William Wallace who inspires the people of Scotland to fight for their freedom. Based on the 13th-century Scottish revolt against the English, the film is full of inspirational dialogue. Here are some of the most inspirational Braveheart quotes.
Inspirational Braveheart Quotes
Between the epic battle scenes and riveting William Wallace quotes, once you start watching this movie, it is hard to stop. We’ve rounded up some of the most unforgettable and inspiring Braveheart quotes below.
Braveheart Freedom Speech: Some Men Need No Introduction
- William Wallace: Sons of Scotland! I am William Wallace.
- Young Soldier: William Wallace is 7 feet tall!
- William Wallace: Yes, I’ve heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
- William Wallace: I AM William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here, in defiance of tyranny. You’ve come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?
- Veteran Soldier: Fight? Against that? No, we will run; and we will live.
- William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you’ll live… at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin’ to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!
- Everyone: Alba gu bra! (Scotland forever!)
Would you be willin’ to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!
NERD NOTE: William Wallace’s famous Braveheart Freedom speech was inspired by Shakespeare’s play Henry V. Screenwriter Randall Wallace found inspiration from King Henry’s St. Crispin’s Day Speech.
Never Lose Heart
- Robert the Bruce: Lands, titles, men, power… nothing.
- Robert’s Father: Nothing?
- Robert the Bruce: I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk fought for William Wallace. He fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him when I betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it’s tearing me apart.
- Robert’s Father: All men betray. All lose heart.
- Robert the Bruce: I don’t want to lose heart. I want to believe as he does.
Freedom Is a Right – Braveheart Quotes
- William Wallace: There’s a difference between us. You think the people of this land exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.
Always Ask for Forgiveness
- William Wallace: Lower your flags and march straight back to England, stopping at every home to beg forgiveness for a hundred years of theft, rape, and murder. Do this and your men shall live. Do it not, and every one of you will die today.
Dress For Success
- Hamish: Where are you going?
- William Wallace: I’m going to pick a fight.
- Hamish: Well, we didn’t get dressed up for nothing.
NERD NOTE: Braveheart was released on May 24, 1995. The film made over $213 million dollars worldwide and won 5 Oscars.
Why Thes Powerful Braveheart Quotes Prove William Wallace Is Our Hero
We can all learn some important life lessons from the famous, William Wallace. It’s almost impossible not to watch this film and not find inspiration in some of these powerful Braveheart movie quotes.
The next time you need some motivation, get out the popcorn, your favorite face paint, and watch Braveheart for a little pre-battle inspiration.
NERD NOTE: Initially, Mel Gibson turned down the opportunity to be in the film Braveheart. Gibson thought he was too old. He was almost 40 at the time and William Wallace’s character was supposed to be in his 20s. However, the movie studio, Paramount Pictures, refused to finance the film unless Gibson agreed to star in the lead role. Gibson liked the script and thought it was important for the film to be made, so he agreed to play the lead role.
- Inspirational Forrest Gump Quotes That Will Warm Your Heart
- Uplifting Quotes From Planet Of The Apes That Prove Family Is Everything
- Inspirational Harry Potter Quotes Full Of Magical Life Lessons
- Epic Indiana Jones Quotes To Help Inspire Your Next Life Adventure