Here are some of the best The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quotes from the classic 1966 Western starring Clint Eastwood.
Western films are as American as cinema can get. They not only invoke nostalgia for simpler times but a sense of wonder about what it was like to experience the Wild, Wild West.
Although Western cinema represents American culture, it didn’t stop other countries from copying this style. One of the best Western subgenres is the Spaghetti Western. These Italian Western movies were cheaper to make and often had more nuanced storylines.
The Best Quotes From The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
One of the best Spaghetti Westerns ever made is the 1966 classic, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. This Sergio Leone masterpiece stars Clint Eastwood and helped put both of them on the map. Here are some of the best The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quotes.
God Is on Our Side
Tuco represents “The Ugly,” while The Man with No Name (aka Blondie) represents “The Good.” You can see the differences between them in the lines below.
- Tuco: God is on our side because he hates the Yanks.
- The Man With No Name: God is not on our side because he hates idiots also.
I Like Big Fat Men – The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Quotes
Many of the best quotes in the movie happen right before a character kills someone else.
- Tuco: I like big, fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise.
Save Your Breath
No one can make a threat like a character from a Western.
- Tuco: If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don’t manage it, you’ll die. Only slowly, very slowly old friend.
Tuco’s Two Kinds of People
As “The Ugly” character, Tuco offers cunning remarks throughout the film, like this classic The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quote.
- Tuco: There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting.
Blondie’s Two Kinds of People
As Tuco’s reluctant partner, Blondie has his own thoughts about humanity.
- Blonde: You see, in this world, there are two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
You Became A Priest
In this quote from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, Tuco is remarking on how both good and evil roles have a part in life and death.
- Tuco: You became a priest because you were too much of a coward to do what I do.
Thunder Or Cannon Fire, It’s All The Same To You
Tuco gives the audience some great metaphors for the gunfire Westerns are known for.
- Tuco: Thunder or cannon fire, it’s all the same to you. Adios, Blondie.
A Rope Around Your Neck
There’s nothing like a Spaghetti Western to make you question the nature of life and death.
- Tuco: You never had a rope around your neck. Well, I’m going to tell you something. When that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the devil bite your ass.
People With Ropes Around Their Necks Don’t Always Hang
This quote is from The Bad, aka Angel Eyes. In his experience, criminals and bandits with a hanging sentence don’t always hang.
- The Bad: People with ropes around their necks don’t always hang. Even a filthy beggar like that has a protecting angel. A golden-haired angel watches over him.
Every Gun Makes Its Own Tune
Sometimes the simplest quotes are the strongest. Out of all of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quotes, this one might be the most famous.
- Blondie: Every gun makes its own tune.
More The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Quotes?
These aren’t the only great The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly quotes. If this list intrigues you, the best way to hear more is to watch the film for yourself.