Here are some of the best The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quotes from the classic 1966 Western starring Clint Eastwood.
Western films are as American as cinema can get. They not only invoke nostalgia for simpler times but a sense of wonder about what it was like to experience the Wild, Wild West.
Although Western cinema represents American culture, it didn’t stop other countries from copying this style. One of the best Western subgenres is the Spaghetti Western. These Italian Western movies were cheaper to make and often had more nuanced storylines.
The Best Quotes From The Good The Bad And The Ugly
One of the best Spaghetti Westerns ever made is the 1966 classic, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. This Sergio Leone directed masterpiece stars Clint Eastwood and helped put both of them on the map. The film is set during the American Civil War and follows three gunmen (The Good, The Bad And The Ugly) who set out to find a hidden fortune.
- Clint Eastwood: The Good (aka Blondie or The Man With No Name)
- Lee Van Cleef: The Bad (Angel Eyes)
- Eli Wallach: The Ugly (Tuco)
Here are some of the best The Good The Bad And The Ugly quotes.
God Is on Our Side
Tuco, played by actor, Eli Wallach, represents “The Ugly,” while The Man with No Name, Blondie (Clint Eastwood) represents “The Good.” You can see the differences between them in the lines below.
- Tuco: God is on our side because he hates the Yanks.
- The Man With No Name: God is not on our side because he hates idiots also.
I Like Big Fat Men – The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Quotes
Many of the best quotes in the movie happen right before a character kills someone else.
- Tuco: I like big, fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise.
Save Your Breath
No one can make a threat like a character from a Western.
- Tuco: If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don’t manage it, you’ll die. Only slowly, very slowly old friend.
Tuco’s Two Kinds of People
As “The Ugly” character, Tuco offers cunning remarks throughout the film, like this classic The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quote.
- Tuco: There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting.
Blondie’s Two Kinds of People
As Tuco’s reluctant partner, Blondie has his own thoughts about humanity.
- Blonde: You see, in this world, there are two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
You Became A Priest
In this quote from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, Tuco is remarking on how both good and evil roles have a part in life and death.
- Tuco: You became a priest because you were too much of a coward to do what I do.
“The pity is when I’m paid, I always follow my job through.”
- Baker: Here, this is for you. You did a good job for me. (hands over a purse) Five hundred dollars.
- Angel Eyes: Oh, I almost forgot. He paid me a thousand. I think his idea was that I kill you. (they both laugh) But you know the pity is when I’m paid, I always follow my job through. You know that.
- Baker: Noo! Angel Eyes!
- (Angel Eyes Shoots Baker through the pillow and sadistically laughs before he blows out the candle)
“You have a face beautiful enough to be worth $2000”
- (Three bounty hunters have cornered Tuco)
- Bounty Hunter #2: No! No pistol, amigo! It won’t do you any good! There are three of us.
- Mexican Bounty Hunter: (holding a wanted poster) Hey, amigo! You know you have a face beautiful enough to be worth $2000?
- Blondie: (from behind them) Yeah, but you don’t look like the one who’ll collect it.
Thunder Or Cannon Fire, It’s All The Same To You
Tuco gives the audience some great metaphors for the gunfire Westerns are known for.
- Tuco: Thunder or cannon fire, it’s all the same to you. Adios, Blondie.
A Rope Around Your Neck
There’s nothing like a Spaghetti Western to make you question the nature of life and death.
- Tuco: You never had a rope around your neck. Well, I’m going to tell you something. When that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the devil bite your ass.
People With Ropes Around Their Necks Don’t Always Hang
This quote is from The Bad, aka Angel Eyes. In his experience, criminals and bandits with a hanging sentence don’t always hang.
- The Bad: People with ropes around their necks don’t always hang. Even a filthy beggar like that has a protecting angel. A golden-haired angel watches over him.
“It’s not a joke, it’s a rope.”
- Blondie: It’s not a joke, it’s a rope, Tuco. Now I want you to get up there and put your head in that noose.
The Perfect Number
- Blondie : (counting Angel Eyes’ men) One, two, three, four, five, six. Six. Perfect number.
- Angel Eyes: Huh. Isn’t three the perfect number?
- Blondie: Mm… yeah. But I’ve got six more bullets in my gun.
Every Gun Makes Its Own Tune
Sometimes the simplest quotes are the strongest. Out of all of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly quotes, this one might be the most famous.
- Blondie: Every gun makes its own tune.
“Hey, Blondie! You know what you are?! Just a dirty son of a b—-“
- Tuco: You pig! You wanted to get me killed. When’d ya unload it?
- Blondie: Last night. You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend – those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
- (Tuco is tied up in a hangman’s noose. Blondie rides away)
- Tuco: Blond… Blondie……Blondie.. (Almost falls off. Blondie stops and fires his rifle, cutting the rope. Tuco screams and falls face-first into his share of the gold.) “THE UGLY”
- (View of Angel Eyes lying dead in a grave) “THE BAD”
- (View of Blondie) “AND THE GOOD”
- (Blondie turns and rides away. Still tied up, Tuco runs up.)
- Tuco: Hey, Blondie! You know what you are?! Just a dirty son of a b-—–
More The Good The Bad And The Ugly Quotes?
These aren’t the only great The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly quotes. These cowboys and bounty hunters have a lot of great lines during their quest to find the gold in (or near) Arch Stanton’s grave. If this list intrigues you, the best way to hear more is to watch the film for yourself.