From “hell is the impossibility of reason” to “keep your pecker hard and your powder dry” here are the best Platoon quotes from Oliver Stone‘s award-winning 1986 film.
Whether you love movies for the plot, cast, or cinematography, Platoon has something that resonates with every audience member. Even though it was released in 1986, this meaningful war film still shakes the world today.
Since the cast spent two weeks in boot camp and every scene was filmed in the Philippines, Platoon is a pretty accurate depiction of what life was like during the controversial Vietnam War. The writer and director of Platoon, Oliver Stone, is also a veteran of this war, so the plot was influenced by his own experiences.
Throughout the film, the characters (and the viewers) wrestle with many emotions. Although Platoon is gruesome, it also makes you think about what’s most important in life. Here are the best Platoon quotes from the groundbreaking 1986 film.
NERD NOTE: Platoon was the first Hollywood film to be written and directed by a Vietnam War veteran.
We Did Not Fight The Enemy, We Fought Ourselves.
- Chris Taylor: I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves, and the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days…But be that as it may, those who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with what’s left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.
The Stars… There’s No Right Or Wrong In Them. They’re Just There.
- Sergeant Elias: I love this place at night. The stars… there’s no right or wrong in them. They’re just there.
We’re Gonna Lose This War
- Sgt. Elias: What happened today is just the beginning. We’re gonna lose this war.
Hell Is The Impossibility Of Reason
- Chris Taylor: Somebody once wrote: ‘Hell is the impossibility of reason.’ That’s what this place feels like. Hell.
Maybe That’s Why They Call Themselves Grunts
- Chris Taylor: They’re poor, they’re unwanted, yet they’re fighting for our society and our freedom. It’s weird, isn’t it? They’re the bottom of the barrel and they know it. Maybe that’s why they call themselves grunts, cause a grunt can take it, can take anything. They’re the best I’ve ever seen, Grandma. The heart and soul.”
I Am Reality
- Sgt. Barnes: Ya smoke this shit so to escape from reality? Me, I don’t need this shit. I am reality. There’s the way it ought to be, and there’s the way it is… I got no fight with any man who does what he’s told, but when he don’t, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down.
I Don’t Know What’s Right Or Wrong Anymore
- Chris Taylor: “Day by day I struggle to maintain not only my strength but also my sanity. It’s all a blur. I have no energy to write. I don’t know what’s right or wrong anymore.”
All You Got To Do Is Make It Out Of Here.
- Chris Taylor: “It’s the way the whole thing works, people like Elias get wasted, people like Barnes just go on making up the rules any way they want. So what do we do? Sit in the middle and suck on it. We just don’t add up to dry shit, King.”
- King: “Whoever said we did, man? All you got to do is make it out of here. It’s all gravy, every day the rest of your life, gravy.”
We’ve Got Zips In The Wire
- Capt. Harris: Be advised. We’ve got zips in the wire down here.
- Phantom Pilot: Roger your last, Bravo Six. Can’t run it any closer. We’re hot to trot and packing snake and nape, but we’re bingo on fuel.
- Capt. Harris: For the record, it’s my call. Dump everything you’ve got left on my pos. I say again, expend all remaining in my perimeter. It’s a lovely fucking war. Bravo Six out.
- Phantom Pilot: Roger your last, Bravo Six. We copy. It’s your call. Get them all in their holes down there. Hang tough, Bravo Six. We’re coming cocked for treetops.
Keep Your Pecker Hard And Your Powder Dry
- King: Somewhere out there is the beast and he’s hungry tonight.
- Chris Taylor: Have you ever gotten into a mistake that you just can’t get out of, King?
- King: There is a way out of everything, man. Just keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.
Did You Enjoy These Platoon Quotes?
These incredible Platoon quotes prove why this award-winning movie is still popular decades after its release. The Platoon script may test your emotional strength at times, but the film shines an important light on war and humanity and what happened in Vietnam.
If you enjoyed these Platoon quotes, then you’ll love getting inspired by more classic films. Check out this article of the most memorable Top Gun quotes.